UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Sep 2010, 9:04 pm   #1
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Default 3 Questions about a valve radio

Hello again, More questions, No 1 ,What ohms is used in coax cable in the wave-change-tuning area of a radio. No 2, What if any lubrication can be used on the wave-change contacts (slider type). No 3, Is it possible to repair slots in a paxolin strip that have become worn with work,ie.OFF switch slider. Hope someone can help. Regards Dick.
Old 22nd Sep 2010, 9:19 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: 3 Questions about a valve radio

1: Usually 75 Ohms. Just had the back off one of mine and that looks like 75 Ohms to me,
2: Not WD40! I use Servisol. I don't know about Ireland, but over here you can get it from Maplin.
3: Depends what's happened. Pictures would help. A brush would clean, Glue might mend or it may just need refitting.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 22nd Sep 2010, 10:39 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Just to clarify re no. 2, what you want is to clean the contacts, not lubricate them - this is what Servisol (as Steve suggests) does.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:54 am   #4
PJL
Dekatron

Any type of RF coax would be fine. The frequencies are too low and cable length too short for any transmission line effect. Needs to be RF to be low capacitance.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 12:49 pm   #5
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Within a radio coax may cause problems due to its capacitance, so replace like with like. If there is coax it is probably 50ohms, but wiring around wavechange switches and tuning capacitors is rarely coax but just ordinary wire.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 1:37 pm   #6
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
Servisol will clean the contacts, remove tarnish etc, but the contacts will be more prone to wear, a couple of drops of electrolube is the best answer after cleaning the contacts or an ultra light touch of vaseline (petrolium jelly).
Incidentally I have been usng WD40 for years with absoulutely no problems.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 10:06 pm   #7
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

I'd suggest a bit of caution and test first .Reason , in ye olde GPO we used old valve amps ,with the gain pot in the feedback path and when it/switch contacts got dirty , AMP used to howl . One cleaner /lubricant from a reputable source caused no end of contact problems.We even ended up replacing a switch or two .
Old 26th Sep 2010, 2:05 pm   #8
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hello again, I got sorted with the radio, I used servisol, 50 ohm coax cable and I had an old bit of paxolin so, I cut off fine dust with a hacksaw, mixed it with evostik and and filled the slot with it.I filed it off when set. So far so good. Thanks for all the help, Dick.
Closed Thread