UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2009, 1:10 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Z80, cp/m and thanks

Hello all,

I've been keeping myself busy building a homebrew computer based on a z80 microprocessor - something I've been planning for the past thirty or so years and never had the time/money/knowledge to start!

It's built as a series of eurocards plugged into a ribbon cable used as a backplane. So far I've made the following cards
  • processor/clock
  • memory
  • serial/parallel io + LCD driver
  • bus monitor board (lots of LEDs!)
  • storage (USB stick)
  • NBTV video graphics card (plugs into parallel port)
Next up is going to be a z80->ISA bridge to allow me to run a VGA card!

Anyway I've reached a milestone last night of getting it to run CP/M for the first time! I'd just like to say a big thanks to all the lads who contributed many of the bits used to make it!

gmb
brianc
Ed_Dinning

And especially ac/hl for the gift of a wirewrapping gun, using a little hand pen is agony after a few hundred connections and I just cannot get the hang of the little point-to-point solder pen things

Anyway there are more pictures and info at http://z80homebrew.blogspot.com

And now for the scrounge....does anyone have any more wirewrap sockets / headers they'd like shut of? (New ones are exorbitant!)

Cheers

Dom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schema-vinc-1.gif
Views:	165
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	29489   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen-1.gif
Views:	184
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	29490   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen-2.gif
Views:	160
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	29491   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA191914-s.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	29492  
Old 20th Oct 2009, 8:54 pm   #2
llama
Octode

Default Re: Z80, cp/m and thanks

Probably - what sizes are you after?
Graham
Old 21st Oct 2009, 1:48 pm   #3
dominicbeesley
Octode

Hi,

Any sizes really, for next part of project I'll be needing at least one 40-way and a few 14's (I've still got a few 16's left). Also could do with a couple more 28's to finish off my RAM board to its full 56k!

At present I've been cutting up the remaining sockets to make bigger ones, i.e. 3x16 cut in the middle etc to make a 40, or more laboriously using a normal socket and soldering lots of wirewrap posts. Trouble is the wirewrap posts I have are a bit short.

Next up I'll be having a go at the z80->ISA bus thing, that (hopefully) shouldn't require too much glue logic...

Cheers

Dom
Old 21st Oct 2009, 8:22 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Dom, I think I have a board that came from a professional printer of 30 years go. This is approx 8" * 10" and is packed with wire wrap bits; any use? I can probably take to Lowton.

Ed
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 12:36 pm   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

Hi Ed,

That would be great - though I've no idea whether I can make it to Lowton...any chance of posting it -after the strike. I'm commuting back and forth to London at the moment and never know where I'll be from one week to the next! I'd reimburse plus a donation to your chosen charity!

Cheers

Dom
Old 22nd Oct 2009, 12:46 pm   #6
interak
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dom,
Your Z80 to USB interface looks good. I have been using a Compact Flash drive with CP/M 2.2 for a while (which works well) but I would like to add USB.
I have recently purchased a DataCentre board and was hoping to interface it to my Interak computer.
Is there any chance you would let me see your Z80 code for interfacing the Vinculum module?
I also have 12 16-pin wire wrap sockets which I could send you if you still need them.
Thanks, Alan
Closed Thread