UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2009, 8:03 am   #21
anthonys radios
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 240volts to 220volts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
A slight variation would be to use any suitably-rated mains transformer with 220 and 240V primary taps as an autotransformer.
Hi dseymo1,
The way I read your posting, you were suggesting that with a suitable transformer, and the primary rated at 240 volts, and having a 220 volt tap as well, you would stick 240 volts in, and using the 220volt tap, take 220 volts out.
The 220 volts out being the required voltage, ie using the transformer as an autotransformer, which seems A1 to me, and works very well in practice.
Old 12th Aug 2009, 4:24 pm   #22
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, that was the idea. I certainly wouldn't advocate buying a transformer specially to use in this way, but I guess that most of us have something to hand which would do the job without any outlay or hassle. I've used this method on a number of occasions with no problems.
Old 12th Aug 2009, 4:57 pm   #23
anthonys radios
Retired Dormant Member

An excellent solution , cheap, and straightforwards, no heat, no wasted energy, and a reliable way to do it, I thought you meant this way.
Old 13th Aug 2009, 8:21 am   #24
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Hello.

Thanks for all the input i have decided that the transformer is an excellent solution. Thanks Dseymo1 and Anthonys radios.
Regards Kev.
Closed Thread