UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2009, 1:22 pm   #1
10davinvi276
Retired Dormant Member

Default 2 valve PYE ?model

Hi- I have an old PYE 2 valve radio which I would like to restore. No model no that I can find. Would anyone know the model and how to locate a wiring diagram. The valves currently are Mullard PEN 47 and Mazda (faded and spec not clear). Should one change all the caps electrolytic, papers or test them first. This is my first such project. thanks for the help. andrew south africa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pye1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	30979   Click image for larger version

Name:	pye2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	30980  
Old 10th Dec 2009, 1:52 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 2 valve PYE ?model

It looks rather like a model K, data available via the link at top right of page.

I wouldn't bother testing paper caps, just get rid and replace. Electrolytics may reform.
Old 10th Dec 2009, 2:08 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Treat that metal rectifier with suspicion too. It would probably be better to wire it out of circuit and replace with a silicon diode and resistor hidden away somewhere.

Paul
Old 10th Dec 2009, 10:51 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi, I've some similar PYE sets and the paper caps were fine, but the resistors had all gone seriously high.
The rectifier is a copper Oxide type that may go high resistance, it can esily be bypassed wirh a silicon doide and resistor.
Treat the tuning cap with great care, some of these used cast "monkey metal" frames that can easily fall apart.
Enjoy the restoration.
Ed
Old 13th Dec 2009, 6:31 pm   #5
10davinvi276
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the advise. I bought the service data above and it is the model K. best andrew
Closed Thread