UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 14th Jan 2020, 4:11 pm   #2421
Barnmead
Pentode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

I've now put them side by side and noted the details and differences. The serial numbers are difficult to see as they are embossed on the RHS of the scale plates. I don't see how to decipher dates though.

model front/back scale part no serial no

Taylor 128 grey/black 5170 580 159683
Avo 72 grey/grey 5170 207 ———
Avo 71 black/grey 5171 141 186533
Avo 73A black/grey 5171 250 ——— deeper with feet
Avo PO12D black/grey 5171 779 279210 deeper with feet 81/1 on back
Old 14th Jan 2020, 10:48 pm   #2422
Superscope
Octode

Richard, Andy,

Any Type of Meter reported on this Thread can potentially be included in the Survey Report,
if that is what is wanted.

Although, we don't have many for the 70 Series at this time. We have about 18 for the Model 12 / 12D.

I guess this is due in part, to the fact that this Survey was very much geared to the Mainstream Full
sized Avometers in the early Days.

Ian
Superscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2020, 10:49 pm   #2423
Sinewave
Octode

I've got quite a few 70 series, I'm still going through my collection audit. I know some of them I couldn't find a serial, where as others I could see the impression in the scale plate.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 12:01 am   #2424
Barnmead
Pentode

On further investigation I find that my model 73A does indeed have a serial number, not on the scale plate but on a label on the inside of the back cover: 0311 73A/1/79
Old 15th Jan 2020, 9:32 pm   #2425
AndyGilham
Pentode

The serial numbers for the model 70 instruments are on labels. Those number on the scale plates I recognise as part numbers for printed material.

I'll have to dig mine ones out and add them. I have a 71, 73, EM272 and a coulee of 12D

Andy
AndyGilham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jan 2020, 12:51 am   #2426
Barnmead
Pentode

The embossed numbers on the RHS of the scale plates must surely be serial numbers as well? At some point this method seems to have been abandoned and the label on inside of the back cover introduced. This is what happened with the later model 8 meters. I would imagine that the numbering of printed part numbers would be in some way related to the introduction of a new model or variation for a particular client.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 6:43 pm   #2427
Sinewave
Octode

Hopefully this can be posted here, if it ever turns up.

An Avo 13 range Model 2 has which was stolen, I've only just managed to find a photo with the serial number on a memory stick I had stored away.

Serial number 3203.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 8:32 pm   #2428
Superscope
Octode

Sinewave,

I don't see why it shouldn't be posted here, but that's just my opinion, but other may differ.
You have posted a Serial Number after all.
Members can at least keep an Eye out, now that they know.

A parcel that has gone missing, has not necessarily been Stolen though.

When was it Stolen?

Ian
Old 17th Jan 2020, 9:46 pm   #2429
Pamphonica
Nonode

Sinewave, that's a real shame to hear about, especially as I know how hard you have been searching for early Avos.

I think it's an excellent idea to publicise goods (including Avos) that have gone astray in any way. At least it gives a permanent note of their status. If it turns up, maybe the moderators can adjust or delete the original post.

-Jeremy
Old 18th Jan 2020, 2:33 pm   #2430
Sinewave
Octode

Thanks for the comments. It was around two years ago but I've only just come across a USB stick I had some of my photos on, I hadn't at the time added it to my own collection data.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 4:25 pm   #2431
Barnmead
Pentode

Further to the change of stores reference numbers for the Air ministry Model D (post #2383)
I have looked at mine made in 1945 which has a 10A on the scale plate and 10S on the instruction plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2342.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	197334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	197335  
Old 18th Jan 2020, 6:50 pm   #2432
Superscope
Octode

Both my Model D's are the same.

10A/10610 on the Scaleplate (Lower Middle) and both have
Ref: No 10S/10610 Data Plate on the back.

One is April 1944 and the other is Feb 1945

I did notice the Model D posted by Andy on post #2387 had a
Black Crinkle Alloy Case.
Is this unusual for a Model D? I think that is the only Model D I've seen with one.

And on that note, is it unusual to have a Black Crinkle Alloy Case on a Model 47A ?
I came across a Model 47A recently with not only a Black Alloy Case, but a Wooden
Battery Holder as found on the 36 Range but with the Top entry as expected for a Model 40.
I thought it might be a very early one, but no, it turns out to be 1943.

Ian
Old 19th Jan 2020, 11:17 am   #2433
AndyGilham
Pentode

I do wonder if these design iterations of case finish (black crackle), model 7 and Model 40 unique front panels are due to builds at the 'shadow factory'.
I am currently in contact with a former Avo worker, who's dad was works manager of Vauxhall bridge and was the person who organised the move to Dover. He has boxes of information regarding that period, so more information may be revealed. I know his father logged everything and photographed even more. So looking forward to that hoard of info.

Additionally, I've also obtained over 200 service manuals and user instructions for Avo products from our calibration lab..... But sadly not the original model 7.

I have been compiling this history...... But it's so detailed.

Andy
Old 19th Jan 2020, 12:47 pm   #2434
Superscope
Octode

Hi Andy,

I thought the Shadow Factory was still speculation?

Is there definite proof now that one did exist?
If so, does anybody know where it was?

I'm guessing something probably existed during the War.

PM Sent

Ian
Old 19th Jan 2020, 2:43 pm   #2435
AndyGilham
Pentode

Yes it does is still speculation.... But does makes some sense! Information must be out there! Hopefully my research will discover something.
The history is broad and complicated.... I started writing up and I'm 30,000 words strong and still a lot more to do!

Andy
Old 19th Jan 2020, 10:45 pm   #2436
The Philpott
Dekatron

Post No.2427- Sorry to hear about the Model 2 in limbo Anthony, i'm sure you will be the first to know if any of us gets a sniff of it.

Post No.2432- I have a Model D from June 1942 which has a black painted alloy case, and a wooden battery box (top entry). There are no (obvious) indications of it originating from a shadow factory. I also have a Model 48A with an alloy case. (March 1942)

I mentioned that my Model 7 from June 1939 has some unusual deviations from normal manufacture and assembly- and some shoddy workmanship- that i think may have originated from a shadow factory. This was the first and only time i have seen a battery box whose mounting holes were needlessly countersunk.

Sorry to be repetitive, but I did have a theory that a large number of alloy cases were pressed out of aluminium sheet stock and kept aside as a contingency against shortage (and to enable bakelite case moulding to be suspended at times of high demand to release staff elsewhere in the factory)

Dave
The Philpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2020, 1:42 pm   #2437
avocollector
Heptode

Was clearing out/tidying up a part of my shed today and came across this 'High Resistance' Avometer. Can any one tell me how common they are as I don't think I've seen another. Think I bought it about a year or so ago but unsure. it came with an Avo 8 mk II booklet and a leather case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	198080   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	198081   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	198082  
avocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2020, 2:04 pm   #2438
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocollector View Post
Was clearing out/tidying up a part of my shed today and came across this 'High Resistance' Avometer. Can any one tell me how common they are as I don't think I've seen another. Think I bought it about a year or so ago but unsure. it came with an Avo 8 mk II booklet and a leather case.
They do come up from time to time. I have two of them, one still reads perfectly.
Old 31st Jan 2020, 10:10 pm   #2439
The Philpott
Dekatron

I think you bought it in Nov.2018 Peter. (There should be a PM from me around that date)

A few thousand were made (in four variants) making them 'quite rare'. They are effectively the first iteration of the Model 8 high impedance design- and were superceded by the Model 8 as such after a comparatively short time. The red parts of the scale plate fade badly and must be kept accordingly! (Mine is now a ghostly fawn colour)

Mine had a sticky movement until i released the rear jewel screw by 1/4 turn.

Dave
The Philpott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2020, 5:08 am   #2440
avocollector
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I think you bought it in Nov.2018 Peter. (There should be a PM from me around that date)

A few thousand were made (in four variants) making them 'quite rare'. They are effectively the first iteration of the Model 8 high impedance design- and were superceded by the Model 8 as such after a comparatively short time. The red parts of the scale plate fade badly and must be kept accordingly! (Mine is now a ghostly fawn colour)

Mine had a sticky movement until i released the rear jewel screw by 1/4 turn.

Dave
Indeed you did PM me over this very meter back in December 2018 with great info about it and I'd totally forgotten it - apologies for that and many thanks for the info. Never had a great memory and age does not I find improve things - however I should have checked first in the PM section before posting!! I was just totally puzzled when I found it as I did not even recall when or where I bought it. Cheers.
avocollector is offline   Reply With Quote