UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Old 3rd Mar 2024, 11:10 pm   #1
john777
Tetrode

Default Telephone 312 sound problem

Hi all
Am currently trying to get a 312 call exchange telephone up and running.
I can dial out and dial in but have a strange problem when speaking into the mouthpiece
I can only hear the sound through the earpiece on the same handset and not ton the other phone
I thought it must be a wiring problem but have checked the wiring several times and it seems OK
Can anyone give me an inkling of what I may be doing wrong.
Many thanks for reading
john777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2024, 10:17 am   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone 312 sound problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by john777 View Post
Hi all

Can anyone give me an inkling of what I may be doing wrong.
Many thanks for reading
Hi John,

What are the Call Exchange switch contacts like? You haven't got the diode in cct when you're trying to speak to the other sub, are you? Are terminals 2 and 3 making good contact?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
russell_w_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2024, 11:10 am   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Have you wired it as per the instructions at https://www.britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm#312? This should bypass any circuitry specific to shared-service working, though as Russell says, terminals 2 and 3 of the Call Exchange switch need to make good contact to take the diode out of circuit when off-hook.
Old 4th Mar 2024, 5:38 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Are your 'Dial Off-Normal' contacts operating correctly? If D1 and D2 remain closed after dialling, you'll be shunting your AC speech signal to the outside world via the 30 Ohm resistor, part of your ASTIC, and the 2uF bell / spark quench capacitor (or master LJU capacitor) but you'd still have DC on the mic to get induced side-tone in your own receiver. That said, your received audio would be down as well. Is this received audio at a level you expect?

Are you sure what you're hearing in your own receiver is derived from an electrical signal?

Is the 0.1uF radio transmitter filter suppression capacitor across the mic the correct value? You could disconnect this if you haven't the means to test - won't make a difference unless you live near a high power radio transmitter.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 6th Mar 2024, 8:50 pm   #5
john777
Tetrode

Hi all
I have linked the terminals 2 and 3 together (the terminals on the block which connect to the dial)
There was an immediate improvement in that I can now hear sound on the other phone.
However I can still hear sound coming thru the earpiece.
Can anyone advise on a next step.
Many thanks
Old 6th Mar 2024, 9:08 pm   #6
john777
Tetrode

Have now tested this by phoning a mate on a mobile and all working well. Can't hear my own voice coming thru earpiece anymore. So looks like all good
Thanks for all your advice
Old 6th Mar 2024, 9:39 pm   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Actually, you should be able to hear your own voice in the receiver (known as sidetone).
Old 7th Mar 2024, 2:11 pm   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by john777 View Post
Hi all
'I have linked the terminals 2 and 3 together (the terminals on the block which connect to the dial)
There was an immediate improvement in that I can now hear sound on the other...'
They should've been linked anyway - both sets of 'Dial Off-Normal' contacts and the link to the ASTIC / 30 Ohm resistor - so it sounds like there was a broken connection. Pleased you sorted it!

As Dave said though: you're meant to hear a fraction of your own voice signal in the receiver during normal conversation.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.