UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2021, 12:10 pm   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Stylus for PYE Play Boy record player.

We specified the (very limited) deck colour options that would best suit the overall colour scheme used for the record player coverings, which was usually ICI Rexine and ICI Vynair. The BSRs UA14, 15 and 16 only came with two colour options each.
Old 10th Oct 2021, 12:24 pm   #22
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I think that grey in the photo, both look good.
Old 10th Oct 2021, 7:04 pm   #23
Ekcoman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Good to see this again as it looks to be in excellent condition and with no serious dents in that metal mesh grille. It was a good idea to specify this type of grille as it had excellent acoustic transperency and certainly looked classy, but was terribly prone to getting damaged. Yours should have the superior ECL82 amplifier from 1963.
Edward this might bring back a few memories
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	243079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye 2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	243080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye 3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	243081  
Old 11th Oct 2021, 9:21 am   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Wow - it certainly does! And in those days I really think people did read them as part of the pleasure of ownership. Now it's all just plug and play and walk away....
Old 11th Oct 2021, 11:16 am   #25
hayerjoe
Hexode

this is the only colour scheme for a UA15 I've seen in Australia, and this model is from 1968, so it was used for a fair few years after its introduction
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_20211011_211027.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	243114  
Old 11th Oct 2021, 8:48 pm   #26
Dick Glennon
Hexode

Hi again, Well I put in the ST10 stylus into the Play Boy. I plugged it in with the lamp limiter and put on the record. I turned it to play,so it dropped the L.P. on to the deck and started to play perfectly. My daughter came in and asked me could we go back to the start as she liked the song. She pressed the reject button and the play arm went back to its position and the record stopped.when we set up the record to play again the turntable started turning but the record would not drop.The only way it will work is by letting the record drop manually and bringing the play arm in to start playing. this may not have been used for quite a number of years. Any advice would be very much appreciated Dick.
Old 11th Oct 2021, 10:36 pm   #27
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Glennon View Post
Hi again, Well I put in the ST10 stylus into the Play Boy. I plugged it in with the lamp limiter and put on the record. I turned it to play,so it dropped the L.P. on to the deck and started to play perfectly. My daughter came in and asked me could we go back to the start as she liked the song. She pressed the reject button and the play arm went back to its position and the record stopped.when we set up the record to play again the turntable started turning but the record would not drop.The only way it will work is by letting the record drop manually and bringing the play arm in to start playing. this may not have been used for quite a number of years. Any advice would be very much appreciated Dick.
It will almost certainly be due to the old grease in the mechanism which will have hardened over the years. Perhaps the trip lever worked the first time and then got stuck so you couldn't do it a second time. It's pretty easy to clean the grease off and re-lube. There should be instructions on the internet, but it takes me about 15 mins to do a "from the top service" (ie what's under the platter) and that may be enough but typically with these UA15 and 14 decks the auto-off doesn't work and that's a much more involved job as the tonearm has to come off, pretty daunting when you first do it but I can do these in about 30mins now so be brave, take photos and give it a go! (advice given to me 2 months back on this forum, and it was good advice)

cheers Joe
Old 12th Oct 2021, 7:18 am   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I can't see any situation arising to sort out the basic autochanging/reject functions where the tone arm needs to be removed?
Old 12th Oct 2021, 10:33 am   #29
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I can't see any situation arising to sort out the basic autochanging/reject functions where the tone arm needs to be removed?
It's the auto-off when the last record has played that's the big problem on the remaining UA14 and UA15 (in fairness all 60+ years old). And the problem is stickiness of the moving plates under (from bottom) the tonearm pivot, so tonearm has to come off to clean it. See photo of one i actually did earlier today! the alloy casting shown needs to be very clean and unlubricated
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3620.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	243196  
Closed Thread