UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2023, 10:01 am   #1
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Fix of Fluke 87V DVM

I powered up my trusty Fluke 87V, which had not missed a beat in a decade or more.

This time it was flashing "LEADS" and the sounder was going beep each time.

Now because YouTube is your friend, it seems that there are two causes. First is a blown fuse; that was not the case.

The second was leakage around the current terminals, fooling the meter into thinking that leads were in the current sockets while other functions are selected. This seems to happen because the current sockets don't get used so often, so collect slightly conductive grot.

Two solutions. Either desolder the old sockets an buy a new one from Fluke (risky and expensive), or extreme clean the current sockets and surrounding shroud.

That is what I did. It took a lot of cleaning with IPA soaked buds and pipe cleaners - they were surprisingly dirty. But the meter is back to full working order now.

Craig
Old 24th Aug 2023, 10:10 am   #2
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Re: Fix of Fluke 87V DVM

Another cause is the pins snap on the terminal panel, uses a split 4mm socket arrangement for lead detection. Some of terminals are now obsolete so it’s either attempt repair with some TCW or write the meter off…

Last edited by Outrun_uk; 24th Aug 2023 at 10:10 am. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 24th Aug 2023, 11:34 am   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Fix of Fluke 87V DVM

Fortunately the 87V is still a current Fluke product (around £700!), so the terminal strip is still a spare part.

But since the Chinese knock off terminal strips are over forty quid I shudder to think how much a real Fluke spare part is!

I'm relieved I fixed it by extreme cleaning of the current terminals!

Craig