UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2019, 11:21 am   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker CH1200 radiogram (also RG300)

Why not just re-use the Sonotone mounting hardware that will be already fitted to the old cartridge?
Old 17th Jun 2019, 12:10 pm   #22
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

It doesn't look like it will fit and if I mess about with it and mark or damage I won't be able to return it for a refund. But as I say, if you experts tell me it will fit then I'll press ahead.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 12:50 pm   #23
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

Well it does fit but a bit loosely. So now I have to adjust the settings so it doesn't lift and turn off halfway through a 10-inch 78 rpm and also clears the arm rest on its return. Sounds a bit thin so the stylus weight may need attention too. The settings got rather randomised a year or two ago when I was trying to work out what had gone wrong. As usual the answer was to spend more money. But the main thing is it's back in action. Hooray - and thanks again for your expert knowledge and your encouragement.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 1:33 pm   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The cartridge should not be a loose fit at all. If so, it will not play correctly and will damage the records. If you are only going to use it for 78s set the arm to 8 grams or for all types of records, set to 5 grams.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 8:27 pm   #25
kirstyd
Heptode

It,s quite easy to take the mounting clip from your old cart and with a little care attach it to the new one. I have done it a few times. Bear in mind your new cart is probably old stock and as such could be faulty just like your old one. In the photo you can see the small lug on the bracket. This slides into the black plastic part of the cart. The fork on the other end fits over a blob of plastic at the front of the cart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190617_201816.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	185277  
Old 17th Jun 2019, 8:35 pm   #26
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker CH1200 radiogram

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxarama View Post
Thanks so much for your help. But why is it an RG 300 when it is badged as a CH1200? I will try your ideas and bear in mind your warnings. I do have a spare used Sonotone cartridge but the one fitted looks much more modern and advanced. I'll see what markings I can find on it. I mainly want to use it for 78rpm records so I don't really need another stereo. Presumably any speaker of the right impedance will work with it.
Just been looking at the service manual. The CH1200 badge comes from the main chassis if you look closely you will be able to see where it went. On mine it's stuck to the bottom of the cabinet just in front of the main chassis.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 7:51 pm   #27
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

The cartridge is attached OK and is happily playing all records at all speeds. Now I need to reset the limits of the tone arm travel and prevent the stylus landing on the deck when the autocycle turns off. I'm using the original stylus until it's safe to install the new one but it's in good condition anyway. I've downloaded a service manual for a Model 50 Mark 2. Then I must find a second speaker, just something functional for now. I had a nice pair of Wharfedale Tritons or Tridents on legs but they seem to have got lost in transit.
Closed Thread