UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2012, 11:03 pm   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default Burndept Screened Ethophone Help!

Hi I have a radio like this.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=72959

Which I started to restore. I took it to bits as it had white gloss paint all over it (including the components), then I moved and I have lost my notebook which details how it went together !

Does anyone have one of these so they can take pictures or a circuit, or suggest one for it so I can reconstruct it. I will PM the obvious candidate!
The Kit of parts is
1 x TCC can 25mf capacitor (seems a bit small for uF)
1 Dux transformer GB- GB HT+ A
V1 SG2V
V2 unmarked
V3 Tungsram PP230 4pin + side contact
50,000 mhys choke
5000 ohm wirewound
3 variable caps 1 reaction 1 non original tuner, 1 other tuner
1 x .00025 cap
2 wooden coils. both seem to consist of a 'normal' coil connected to a flat wound coill
wavechange switch
multi contact on/off switch

That's about it. There are no extra holes to hold anything down so I don't think anything is missing..
Old 13th Sep 2012, 5:45 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Burndept Screened Ethophone Help!

Hi PWH, it will be a fairly standard SG, + Det, + OP. Unknown valve will be something like an HL2 , virtually any low power valve will do.
You first bit of detective work will be to fine wher the parts fit on the baseboard.
Can you post pics of the parts and board?

Ed
Old 15th Sep 2012, 1:18 am   #3
PWH
Heptode

Hi Ed,

yes I can do soon ,there are already photos in the link in post 1. One of the conundrums is the choke and the wirewound are in identical cases so not sure which goes in what position..

Also, I forgot to mention there is a 3Meg (still!) resistor between the grid of v2 valve holder and LT+
Old 15th Sep 2012, 1:29 am   #4
PWH
Heptode

2 photos attached the tuner on the left as you look is not original.. IF anyone has an original in their junk box with the 0-100 dial I would be most pleased to acquire it. The componets already placed are in the right position as the component holes are 'unique' the connections are best guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ethophone1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	70660   Click image for larger version

Name:	ethophone2.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	70661  

Last edited by PWH; 15th Sep 2012 at 1:32 am. Reason: Typo's
Old 19th Sep 2012, 7:43 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi PWH, nice looking set, the choke will probably go in the RF valve position and the resistor for the AF valve.
You should find a tuning cap on e-bay quite easily; a local flea markert may take longer, but you can have it working meanwhile.
3 meg seems a bit high, 1 or 2 meg more normal, but if it works ok, leave it.

Ed
Old 19th Sep 2012, 10:41 pm   #6
PWH
Heptode

helgijoh has kindly sent me lots of close up photos so on a rainy day (and that's quite often!) I'll have a go at wiring it up. Ebay is a good idea, No flea markets here, probably some fleas somewhere ...
Old 26th Sep 2012, 9:59 pm   #7
PWH
Heptode

Well I have assembled this, (Thanks to helgijoh )minus the replacement tuning cap. The reason is the 2 leads have + dc volts on it and if I connect the tuner, one of them will go to deck. The original tuner is on a wooden stand off so would not have directly connected to deck. I can't really sort this out till the problem below is corrected

Without V1 in place, I have had good crackling noises out of the speaker when the grid of the 2nd valve is prodded, but now all is silent. I am getting +1.5V on the grid of V2, which is connected to one side of a 0.00025 cap. Is that correct? the other side of the cap is 100V dc (my chosen HT) The grid of V2 is also connected to a resistor marked as 3 meg but actually around 4.5.
Old 26th Sep 2012, 11:49 pm   #8
PWH
Heptode

OK no longer dead, found a dry joint on the LT side seems to be working from V2 on but no radio stations with V1 in. I have added in the replacement tuner sitting on the bench
Old 27th Sep 2012, 12:35 am   #9
PWH
Heptode

All now working. I dropped the SG volts down and heard a faint station. Adjusting reaction and the non original 'tuner' which actually acts as a volume control, I have lots of MW stations. No LW around here. I do need some parts to complete the restoration so please check the parts wanted. Once I fathom it out, I'll draw out the diagram. Thanks to everyone!!
Closed Thread