UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2011, 1:59 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Email Addresses

I am getting an increased number of bounced notification emails from the forum due to the email addresses some members have on the forum no longer being valid.

Please check that your email address on the forum is correct and working here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...o=editpassword

If it is not correct please update it. Note that you will then need to reactivate your account by clicking the link in the automatic email that is sent to the new address.

Also please make sure you are not using an anti-spam that requires the sender to click a link or go to a webpage to allow the email to be sent. I delete all such requests without clicking the link.

From next week I will start deactivating the forum accounts of those members whose forum notification emails continue to bounce.

You can set up which notification emails you receive from the forum here https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...do=editoptions

Thank you.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 8th Aug 2011, 2:10 pm   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Email Addresses

You might want to be aware that for some unknown reason the forum's email notification of a private message (but not anything else) is treated as spam by the various mail systems it goes though to get to me.

This has the effect that they arrive days after I have usually spotted it directly.
(But they don't get bounced - yet).
Old 8th Aug 2011, 2:28 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
You might want to be aware that for some unknown reason the forum's email notification of a private message (but not anything else) is treated as spam by the various mail systems it goes though to get to me.
Unfortunately that is a common problem with the type of automated emails forum software sends. However most spam filters discard rather than bounce suspected spam so I don't get those.

What I am trying to reduce is the 20-30 emails I get each day due to the recipient address no longer existing. Many are PM notifications, some are subscribed thread notifications, and the odd one or two are new member activations. I do have a filter to move these emails to a separate folder but I still need to check through them.

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Aug 2011, 6:55 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The number of bounces has reduced somewhat but I am still getting quite a few. If you haven't already checked your email address please do so now as I will start deactivating accounts from Monday.

Paul Stenning
Old 14th Aug 2011, 12:45 am   #5
Big Band Heaven
Retired Dormant Member

It is lucky that I noticed this as my account is linked to an email address that I use for all the online forums I belong to and also other on line stuff. I have a separate email address for friends and family. I dont check my "forum"email address very frequently and as most of the stuff going in there is junk I usually just periodically delete the lot and could of accidentally deleted any notification email asking me to varify my account. I wonder if other forum members will have this issue. I hope that you dont delete me by mistake because I haven't replied to your email.
Old 14th Aug 2011, 12:54 am   #6
Station X

You don't have to reply to anything. The accounts which will be deleted are those where notification emails, say PM notifications, bounce because the email address doesn't exist.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 14th Aug 2011, 9:13 am   #7
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
You don't have to reply to anything. The accounts which will be deleted are those where notification emails, say PM notifications, bounce because the email address doesn't exist.
Problem is through, that if the account isn't monitored, the in box will fill up, or maybe the account will be closed without you knowing .
Old 14th Aug 2011, 9:03 pm   #8
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

If an account is deactivated in error, a short message (including a valid email address) sent via the 'Contact Us' link (which can be found at the bottom of most pages) will suffice to have it reactivated.

Kat
Old 16th Aug 2011, 12:11 pm   #9
bobsterkent
Hexode

I guess this is also a handy way to remove some of the members who only logged on to ask a specific question and then vanish off, I see it as a nice bit of housekeeping.
Old 17th Aug 2011, 4:56 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The number of bounces has dropped considerably so thank you to everyone who has updated their email addresses.

Paul Stenning
Old 9th May 2013, 8:56 am   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

BUMP!!

Over the last few weeks I have had a significant increase in the amount of bounced emails from the forum.

Please see post #1 in this thread, especially if you are not receiving emails from the forum when you get PMs.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread