UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2011, 11:18 am   #1
Ever-HMV
Retired Dormant Member

Question Murphy A272C valves

I recently picked up a Murphy A272C as part of an Auction lot.

Unfortunately, ALL of the valves had been removed - something I hadn't checked B4 bidding (Not a mistake I'll make again!)

It's too good to scrap, but some of the valves are hard to get, and expensive. A quick check on Ebay suggests it would be easy to spend £50 just on the valves, which is beyond my budget.

What valve substitutions could I make to use either valves that I have, or easily available alternatives? I am not averse to changing the valve bases to suit, if essential.

For example:

Substitute an ECC84 or a 6BQ7A for the ECC85 (I have stock of these!)

Substitute an EZ80 or EZ81 for the EZ40

Substitute ?? for the 6P1

and so on.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Rob
Old 11th May 2011, 3:32 pm   #2
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Murphy A272C valves

The A272C is an excellent receiver and sounds good on FM with a 10" Celestion 'speaker on what is effectively a large baffle.

Please don't butcher the set - valves for it are not too difficult to get.

The valve for the FM head is an ECC85 - plenty available. A possible substitution which will work is an ECC88 but there's not a lot of point. Don't attempt to rewire the base otherwise alignment will be lost.

The second valve (AM frequency changer) is a 6C9 which is a Mazda special. They are around and long lived, so a second hand valve is a possibility. If pushed, an ECH42 will work here, but the screen resistors will need changing and the set re-aligning.

The IF amplifier is a 6F18 which is similar to the EF89 - but check the screen connections as they differ on pin 1. Re-alignment would again be needed if a change was made.

The detector/AF preamp is an EABC80 - easy to get.

The 6P1 output valve is a "GT" version of the earlier Mazda 6P25 and there's room in the A272C to fit one. Other pin compatible possibilities are an EL33 or a KT61 (which would definitely need a bias change). A 6V6 would also work, but leave the set short of audio gain due to its low slope.

I would look for a 6P25 which is a plug-in replacement whilst you try to find a 6P1 - they are around. Check the bias if you make any other substitutions.

The UU9 rectifier is a straight equivalent for an EZ40. At a push, two silicon diodes and a resistor would do whilst you find one.

There was no screening can fitted to the AM aerial coils - it looks as though it's missing. Don't fit one.

Leon.

Send me a PM if you're stuck and I may be able to help with some of the Mazda specifics - other than the 6P1.

Last edited by Leon Crampin; 11th May 2011 at 3:42 pm. Reason: Gratuitous thoughts.
Old 11th May 2011, 3:44 pm   #3
yestertech
Nonode

Hi Rob

have sent you a PM

Andy
Old 11th May 2011, 4:12 pm   #4
Ever-HMV
Retired Dormant Member

Leon

Thanks for your detailed reply which has illuminated much for me. Perhaps this substitution game is not as easy as I hoped!

I'll check what's available (and at what price) from the BVCF at the weekend - I might be lucky!

Andy

Thanks for your PM - PM sent.

Rob
Old 11th May 2011, 8:43 pm   #5
Tim
Dekatron

You'll need to change the base to use an EZ80, but it will work well(have done it on one of these sets).
Old 11th May 2011, 9:26 pm   #6
John_BS
Octode

Rob:

There were several 6P25's in the collection I gave to the forum c/o Jeremy last year. Also one EZ40 & one ECC85.

I have a NIB Tungstram EF89 if you are still in need!

John
Old 11th May 2011, 10:29 pm   #7
Leon Crampin
Octode

Rob, I've just had a look at my stock and I have a good used 6C9 - yours for the cost of the postage.

Leon.
Old 11th May 2011, 11:28 pm   #8
Ever-HMV
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the kind offers.

I'm just in the process of stripping the radio down, to ensure the rest of it is OK, and worth getting valves for; if cobwebs were spun with gold, I'd be a rich man!

Rob
Closed Thread