UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2018, 7:20 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default BVWS NW Golborne swap meet 11th Nov

The Golborne BVWS swapmeet is Sunday 11th November, west of Manchester.

http://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php

Doors open at 10 (stall holders 9.30). The usual variety of stalls selling vintage Radio, Television, Audio, Communications receivers, Test gear, Valves, Components, Spares, etc. Ample free parking, hot and cold refreshments available. The BVWS stall will be there selling the usual range of capacitors, Deoxit, etc.

If you have one or two items you'd like to sell, the 'Bring and Buy' stall is where you can sell them at 10% commission to the BVW&TV Museum.

The stores are bursting at the seams again, so they'll be a huge variety of bargains overflowing from the BVWS table, everything must go!

If you're not a BVWS member, why not come along for a sample visit? You'll be made most welcome and you can even take the plunge and join on the day if you like what you see! Credit/debit card payments taken at the BVWS stall.

See you there....

BVWS committee chairman
Old 28th Oct 2018, 9:47 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS NW Golborne swap meet 11th Nov

Hi Gents, I'll be there and look forward to seeing you all again.
I'll be bringing the goodies I have advertised at present on the forum for those who want then.

Ed
Old 28th Oct 2018, 10:59 pm   #3
KeithsTV
Nonode

Since 2012 I have been giving a talk on various topics in the side room at Golborne which have been well received. Last year at the November meet I had intended to give a talk entitled “An Introduction to Semiconductors part 1” on diodes. However due to various family commitments, primarily my daughter buying a house and asking her dad to help out with decorating etc, I was unable to give the talk and gave an alternative talk instead and gave the intended talk at the April meet promising to give part 2 on Transistors and ICs at the November 2018 meet.

This year my son bought a house and made the same request so I have been spending time decorating and helping sort out not only his house but clearing up and completely refurbishing his old room in our house. As a result I haven’t been able to finish the talk on Transistors and ICs scheduled for November but will present it at the April meeting.

Partly because of the time it takes and other commitments, I have to announce that the April talk will be the last one or at least the last one for some time. I am not ruling out doing any talks in the future but it does depend on me finding time to prepare one as they do take considerable time to prepare, deciding the topic, which is often the most difficult task, researching the subject, then writing and rewriting the handout, designing, building and testing the demos, then taking photos and inserting them into the handout plus running through it several times to ensure it runs smoothly. I used to do a lot of the writing and editing at work during my lunch hour but since I finished work there are a lot more things needing doing at home in addition to other commitments, leaving less time for preparing the talk. Who said retirement was an easy life!

I’ll still be coming to the swapmeet on 11th November so if you have any questions or any suggestions for possible future talks please come and find me. I’ll be wearing my avatar badge.

Keith
Old 28th Oct 2018, 11:38 pm   #4
Richard_FM
Octode

I'm hoping to come along if I'm free that day, as I've wanted to go to an event like this but most others mentioned here have been too far away from me.
Old 28th Oct 2018, 11:56 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I will be there sharing a table with Steve, (our wives have given us dispensation for the day) If anyone needs any hard to find bits please ask before the day I may be able to help. I'm looking forwards to seeing everyone again.

John.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 8:46 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I hope to be there manning the B&B stall as usual.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 5:23 pm   #7
Kentode
Octode

I'll be there, wearing my nametag as always.

BVWS member
Old 29th Oct 2018, 7:10 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Hope there will be 2 minutes silence at 1100.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 8:28 pm   #9
audiomagpie
Heptode

Most definitely 2 minutes silence at 11am HB, as indeed there was last year.

We will tune in to the Beeb live from the Cenotaph with a suitable warm valve radio!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 29th Oct 2018, 9:12 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Could not be better! I hope to be doing a reading at the local church that day and Pam is playing the organ.
Old 30th Oct 2018, 8:13 am   #11
Jeremy M0RVB
Hexode

I booked a table for this but due to circumstances changed for me (!) I can't make it now. This is annoying as I have a stack of old and oddball valves to go. I will try for the next one.

Jeremy
Old 30th Oct 2018, 9:32 pm   #12
stevekendal
Heptode

I will be there this time, (finally gave up Sunday working) and will have a table full of dusty, musty and fusty and don't forget to look underneath!
Old 30th Oct 2018, 11:35 pm   #13
Richard_FM
Octode

What are the rules on the bring & buy, if any?

I have some items I could bring along.
Old 31st Oct 2018, 8:53 am   #14
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If you wish to sell on a "commission" basis, please decide how much you wish to sell it for and either label it accordingly or let me know when you bring it to the stall. If it sells, 10% commission is retained for museum funds and you receive the remaining 90% of the sale price. Either way, please don't forget to call in before you go to collect any sales money and/or unsold items.

People also donate items for which they don't want any money, with all monies raised going to museum funds. Likewise with these, please collect any unsold items as I don't have room to store them afterwards.
Old 31st Oct 2018, 10:42 am   #15
Julianh
Triode

Default Golborne Swapmeet - 11th November 2018

Hi all,

I'd like to ask about the Swapmeets.

I've not been to one before, and wondered what the likleyhood of finding restored radios in GWO is there, or would I be better off driving 4 1/2 hours to go to an auction?

I'd like to go to get a better idea of the vintage radio "scene"

Thanks
Old 31st Oct 2018, 10:57 am   #16
paulsherwin

Default Re: Golborne Swapmeet - 11th November 2018

They are primarily events for enthusiasts, and while there will be some radios available that have been restored, they don't really attract retail dealers who could sell you a radio with a warranty. That said, buying a radio at an auction house is unlikely to provide such a set either. Your best approach would be to buy something from one of the long established commercial restorers, or buy an unrestored set (or a set of unknown provenance) and pay a professional to restore it for you. Swapmeet auctions are an excellent source of unrestored sets at low prices.
Old 31st Oct 2018, 11:31 am   #17
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Golborne Swapmeet - 11th November 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianh View Post

or would I be better off driving 4 1/2 hours to go to an auction?

Thanks
Hi Julian

I assume you mean BVWS auctions Harpy or RWB?

Please bear in mind that to bid at a BVWS auction you have to be a member of the BVWS.

The NVCF is pretty good and probably has more restored sets than the average meet.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 31st Oct 2018, 11:33 am   #18
Julianh
Triode

Is it cash or are cards accepted?
Old 31st Oct 2018, 11:40 am   #19
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The Bring & Buy is cash only. Individual stalls are up to what arrangements the stallholders have. The BVWS stall accepts credit/debit cards (as per the opening post of this thread), and I believe that also covers admission fees, though I'm open to correction on this last point.
Old 31st Oct 2018, 3:31 pm   #20
audiomagpie
Heptode

Just to clarify re cash/cards:

The BVWS stall accepts debit/credit card payments for membership renewal/joining fees, capacitor, de-oxit purchases, publications purchases and purchases of vintage sets/equipment and the like from our tables.

The entry fee is strictly cash however, there will be no card machine at the door and we would loose too much in charges for the small amount charged for admission!

See you there!

BVWS committee chairman
Closed Thread