UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2020, 8:29 am   #1
HiFiNick
Diode

Default Hacker Gondolier - A bit of help required please

Hello
I have just bought a Hacker Gondolier fitted with a Garrard 2025TC and a Sonotone 3549 cartridge which I think is faulty.
The GP42 sounded great for the first fifteen minutes or so.
Then half way through 'Dark Side Of The Moon' there were some pops and lots of noise intereference, irrespective of volume.
Now I only get minimal volume, even on max.
So I looked at some of the previous threads posted here and carefully carried out the following tests without removing the 2025TC;
Swapped over the two ECL86's in the GP42 - no difference
Swapped over the two ECL86's between the GP42 and an GP15 - no difference
Plugged a CD player into the GP42 input and got a healthy volume
Plugged a CD player into the GP15 input and got a healthy volume
Plugged a Garrard 3.500 into the GP42 input and got a healthy volume
So I think its the cartridge which is the problem. Would you agree?
So where do I go frome here?
Is it possble to repair my existing cartridge?
Is it possible to get a replacement 3549?
Should I explore the option of getting an ACOS GP93? Will one of these fit without any modifications?
Lots of questions I know, but I'm keen to get this lovely machine up and running again.
Thanks in advance for any help and taking the time to read this.
Kind regards
Nick
Old 23rd May 2020, 9:06 am   #2
leslie5555
Heptode

Default Re: Hacker Gondolier - A bit of help required please

I replaced mine with a BSR SC11M cartridge found on the auction site for just under £45. So not cheap but comes complete with fixing bracket (which I didn't use) and new stylus. And was easy to fit and sounds great.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:13 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It may not be the cartridge at all as you said it worked OK at first. It might be the cartridge connecting pins that need cleaning. Use a fine emery paper and a contact cleaner - Servisol 10. If you pull the connectors off (and you may have to) do use fine Tweezers AND it's essential to note the correct location of each of the 4 coloured wires to each pin. If this does not work, and you if are still conviced that it is the cartridge, be aware that there are only a very few cartridges that will accurately fit the very narrow tone arm head. Whilst using the contact cleane, do spray the volume control as well.
Old 24th May 2020, 9:50 am   #4
HiFiNick
Diode

Many thanks guys for your responses
I'll very carefully examine and clean the existing cartridge and see how I get on
It's very fiddly stuff and one slight slip could easily do lots of damage
I'll take my time
Nick
Old 24th May 2020, 10:26 am   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

An excellent choice of record player , and record of course , I once constructed the amplifier ,I wonder what happened to it , the sonotone 9ta/hc is my choice of cartridge ,but would need the plug re wiring , good luck finding a replacement cartridge ,Mick.
Closed Thread