UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2020, 3:56 pm   #1
stuie319
Pentode

Default Long shot - cartridge identification?

Hello folks,

Hope all are well at this oddest of times.

As per title I have a little conundrum which I'm hoping someone may know the answer to - I have here a Garrard GA150 music centre circa 1975. The machine is in quite remarkable condition, and as far as I'm aware is completely original.

It needs a new stylus, which in itself shouldn't normally present a problem, all the ones for sale online look identical to the one in the machines instruction manual, and the same as any other example of this unit that I've seen pictures of. Except mine. Which is odd, for I've no reason to suspect that the cartridge has ever been replaced!

The deck installed is an SP25 Mk 5, I don't really want to replace a perfectly serviceable cart unnecessarily, the only problem being a worn cantilever on the stylus.

Does anybody recognise the type? The styalised 't' on the front looks vaguely familiar and for some reason I have 'Tenoral' in my mind, but could of course be miles off.

Images attached - The blue one is from the instruction book, the other is what's actually present

As usual thanks for reading, and any help gratefully received. I realise it's a long shot!

Regards,

Stu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed cart.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	206762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed cart2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	206763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory stylus.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	206764  
Old 25th May 2020, 4:06 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Long shot - cartridge identification?

Well that is the TENOREL logo on the face of the cartridge body. The stylus assembly just slides off, it's the white/cream pull off moulding. I think Mantra Audio sold replacements.
There were a small range of stylus types, but I think any replacement Conical type would be just fine in a Garrrad SP25.
Old 25th May 2020, 4:12 pm   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

Tenorel was I believe a Netherlands brand.
https://www.musonic.co.uk/index.php?...ducts_id=23662
Old 25th May 2020, 4:51 pm   #4
stuie319
Pentode

Hi Again,

Crikey, that was quick! And it looks like we have the answer. Perhaps if I'd spelt Tenorel correctly I'd have got there myself. I still find it odd that what appears to be a factory fit is so clearly different than the manual supplied with the machine but hey ho, I now know what I'm looking for!

Thanks again guys

Regards

Stu
Old 25th May 2020, 6:53 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

I vaguely recall that Tenorel made a copy of the Goldring G800. You will have to examine the photos carefully or take out the cartridge and see if there are numbers on the back.
Old 26th May 2020, 11:18 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Judging from the shape of the cart body I would have said Goldring too.
Old 26th May 2020, 3:41 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Looks like a Tenorel 2001, which was indeed a loose equivalent to the G800. It was distributed by Condor over here ("the fastest bird in the business"..!) and made a decent replacement for the various nondescript Japanese units when styli were diffficult to get.
Old 26th May 2020, 5:30 pm   #8
stuie319
Pentode

Hi Guys,

Other than the logo on the front of the cart there are no markings.
Visually the 2001D looks to be the most likely candidate and so one has been ordered. It wasn't expensive, and hopefully will fit.
I will report back when it arrives!

Thanks once again

Stu
Closed Thread