UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2017, 9:11 am   #1
m9rt1n1
Retired Dormant Member

Default SONY Cassette Deck TC-K215

Hi this is my first post. I need some advice/help please. I got my SONY Cassette Deck TC-K215 out of the attic recently. Belts were gone so I changed them. On playing a cassette all I got was a crackly hardly recognisable song.

I cleaned the heads run a demag cassette and the music played, but only for a few minutes before it went back to the crackly hardly recognisable stuff. I ran the demag cassette again and it's fine for a few minutes then back to the crackle. And so the cycle goes on. I might have stupidly run the demag cassette the wrong way around in the cassette deck.

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks!
Old 4th Sep 2017, 10:57 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: SONY Cassette Deck TC-K215

Clean all the switchgear with Servisol 10 or similar contact cleaner. You can buy it in Maplins or online. Don't use WD40.
Old 4th Sep 2017, 11:18 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hello and welcome.

Yes, Paul's probably right, but this machine is rather too new (mid 1990s?) to use traditional, mecahnical record/play switching.

Are there any relays on the PCB? Could you post a few photos of the insides of the machine, please?

N.
Old 4th Sep 2017, 10:21 pm   #4
Tractionist
Heptode

Is the battery in your de-mag device up to spec / charged?