UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2018, 7:18 pm   #1
Kezter1
Diode

Default SME 3009 series II fixed head shell - value?

Hi,

My uncle got in touch with me recently regarding this tonearm. He is looking to sell it but doesn't really get on very well with computers so he has asked me to look into it. Unfortunately turntables are not really my area of expertise, so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me get a ballpark value on this thing?

He has owned it since new, still has the original receipt from 1973 with all the original packing etc.

He tells me there is a fault with it, there is a problem with the lifter - something to do with the silicon needing replacing.

I have done some research of my own and I have an idea of the value, but I am not sure how this fault affects the value, so I would be very appreciative of any help or advice!

Thanks,

Kez
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NDoht6z.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	164475   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBB86WQ.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	164476  
Old 12th Jun 2018, 9:03 pm   #2
qualityten
Octode

Default Re: SME 3009 series II fixed head shell - value?

Completed sales on EBay will give you the best upper value. All the parts can be replaced on these, so the dried out damping in the arm lift should not affect the value much IMHO.
Old 12th Jun 2018, 10:58 pm   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: SME 3009 series II fixed head shell - value?

The old-style dashpot is very difficult to service. Not impossible, but difficult. You need 1 million centipoise silicone oil (which has the viscosity of treacle straight out of the fridge - it is almost like tar). From eBay - it is used in radio control cars. And then you need patience.

Or it can be replaced with a later lifter - they are all compatible - which can be serviced if needed. It means that it isn't strictly original, but at least the lifter will work. Again auction site.

But provided you mention the lifter fault, the fact that it has had one owner, has the receipt and all the original packing will significantly add to the value.

Craig

Last edited by AC/HL; 13th Jun 2018 at 12:47 pm. Reason: C1
Closed Thread