UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2018, 9:07 pm   #1
Dekatron
Octode

Default Printing new meter scales?

Hi,

For some years I have replaced dead AVO valve tester meters with Simpson 29T and 1329T meters and made my own scales. Over the years I have had a lot of questions about this, so many that I decided to look for someone who can print the scales professionally.

I've asked some meter companies, like Simpson, if they can print meter scales if I provide the required template, but usually I don't get an answer or if I get an answer they will happily print scales if I buy the meter at the same time and the required quantities are in the thousands - that's not in my budget.

I was just planning on making a few scales for myself and possibly for other people to have manufactured for themselves.

Does anyone know where I can find a company that can print on meter scales?

I've printed scales on paper in color lasers and then laminated them with clear plastic and then glued them onto the meter scale, but that doesn't look as professional and it is not easy to glue the plastic to the metal scales and have it properly aligned.

I've also searched for companies that do silk-screen printing but not found any yet.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by Dekatron; 9th Jun 2018 at 9:08 pm. Reason: Added silk-screen comment!
Old 9th Jun 2018, 11:34 pm   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Printing new meter scales?

I print meter scales using an ordinary HP inkjet printer, BUT I print onto photo paper.
Its stiff enough to stay flat, and its not true gloss, but more a soft flat. No reflections!!.
Photo paper only costs about $8 aussie from the local Chinese junk shop, and thats for 100 sheets in A4 size. My ink cartridges are Chinese ripoffs, and the quality is excellent.

Just a thought

Joe
Old 10th Jun 2018, 5:22 am   #3
John M0GLN
Octode

Default Re: Printing new meter scales?

I also print my meter scales out on photo grade paper, first I scan the meter scale and then insert the scanned image into a CAD program, in my case DraftSight, and then trace over the scale plate outline and the scale arc, add all my required figures, delete the plate scan and print, I can now cut the print along the plate outline and fit it exactly on top of the original plate so that the alignment is correct, I use 'UHU' glue, goes on very thin and allows a bit of time for positioning and doesn't wrinkle the paper.

John
Closed Thread