UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2018, 7:29 pm   #21
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: RGD RP231 record player

The first coat of paint is dry, and I have to say, to me the colour match is disappointing.
I think the only real way you can achieve this kind of colour matching is by using professional colour swatches.
Comparing colours on the screen is fine but the scan of the original colour may have been inaccurate and each computer monitor will show the colour differently, still I did my best, colour swatches are not cheep.

Here is the result of 1 coat on the lid the bottom half is not fitted. The paint colour match in these two photos looks better than it does in real life.
Click image for larger version

Name:	first coat of paint a.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	164594 Click image for larger version

Name:	first coat of paint b.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	164595
I will be putting 1 more coat on the lid and probably only the single coat on the bottom half.

Still it should be an improvement.

Mike
Old 14th Jun 2018, 9:01 pm   #22
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Well it looks very smart anyway!
It's quite possible that the original colour wasn't quite as it appears today, UV and chemical changes having done their thing, so I wouldn't worry too much about the match.
Old 14th Jun 2018, 9:58 pm   #23
crackle
Rest in Peace

There were hidden parts that were protected from sunlight bleaching etc. and these confirmed that the plastic front part of the case housing the amp and speaker was the same colour as the other parts, for instance under the RGD badge and inside the base of the case.
Tomorrow a light rub over with 600 grit and another coat on the top and one on the base and I can put this one away as finished.
Mike
Old 15th Jun 2018, 3:58 pm   #24
crackle
Rest in Peace

Well it is all finished and back together.
The audio is quite respectable, with the lid closed.
One of the best selling points about this autochanger record player is it is very lightweight, weighing in at only 14.5 lbs making it easily portable from room to room..
Here is a little video of it working.
https://youtu.be/UMJ0yrjd3ag
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rgd_rp231.html

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RGD_RP231_front.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	164645   Click image for larger version

Name:	RGD_RP231_closed.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	164646   Click image for larger version

Name:	RGD_RP231_standingup.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	164647  
Old 15th Jun 2018, 4:37 pm   #25
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well done, this looks great, a reward for your perseverance. The Garrard autochanger is working a treat as well. I regret I can hear quite a lot of distortion due to the cartridge mis-match. Best to keep to about 50/60% volume only. If you ever do decide to change the cartridge for a more appropriate one, do be sure to keep the BSR X5H as these will only increase in value.
Old 15th Jun 2018, 6:25 pm   #26
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi Edward, thanks for your comments, yes I agree there is some distortion at above about 7 but there are not many audio items where the sound is undistorted all the way up to 9 or 10.
I am not sure I have another suitable cartridge which is working, but I believe this one is supposed to be stereo compatible so hopefully it should be easier on the more modern records.
cheers
Mike
Old 15th Jun 2018, 7:22 pm   #27
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Oh yes, the BSR X5H will be just fine for stereo records as it is stereo-compatible. Just keep it clean with an eyebrow brush.