UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2018, 12:31 pm   #1
Jez_m-l
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony HP-211A. Repair or replace case and corrosion problem

Hi everyone,

I was recently given a Sony HP-211A that belonged to my Grandfather to have a look at as it wasn't working. I want to restore it to original as much as possible and have managed to get the radio and record player working but now I want to address the cosmetics of it. I has been left in a damp area for a very long time and the veneer has come off in several places however the main problem is the underlying chip board that the veneer was stuck to. As it was left in damp area and has been banged a bit a bit of the chip board has expanded and fallen to bits in some areas. I want to try and keep it original but I am thinking that replacing the wood with a nice solid wood would be an easier alternative to repairing the damage. What are the thoughts on this? If I were to repair then I am loathe to repair chipboard!

My other question is what to do with the corrosion on the chassis. I can clean this up but would probably like to get it recoated. Can someone advise as to what sort of plating/coated this is please?

Many thanks for all your help in advance.

Jez

Photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9845.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	159777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9863.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	159778