UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2023, 9:23 pm   #1
Hermitcrab
Triode

Default Glasgow dialling code booklet

I found the attached pictures online from Issue 13 of the Glasgow dialling code booklet from 1980. Obviously there had been 12 previous issues; in some other areas you might only receive a new dialling code booklet every 3 years or so, it was quite arbitrary.

I haven't come across the "Scottish Telecommunications Board" front page heading before, and on the reverse of the booklet 8/80 will refer to the publication date i.e. August 1980, but does 400,000 refer to the print run? I would have thought you might need this many booklets for the Glasgow area so it could do.

In any case I bet that as soon as the new booklet arrived the telephone area office were bombarded with requests for more of them especially from customers in large offices!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	279611   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	279612  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 4:42 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Glasgow dialling code booklet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitcrab View Post
I found the attached pictures online from Issue 13 of the Glasgow dialling code booklet from 1980. Obviously there had been 12 previous issues; in some other areas you might only receive a new dialling code booklet every 3 years or so, it was quite arbitrary.

I haven't come across the "Scottish Telecommunications Board" front page heading before, and on the reverse of the booklet 8/80 will refer to the publication date i.e. August 1980, but does 400,000 refer to the print run? I would have thought you might need this many booklets for the Glasgow area so it could do.

In any case I bet that as soon as the new booklet arrived the telephone area office were bombarded with requests for more of them especially from customers in large offices!
The 'Scottish Telecommunications Board' was an early attempt at independance by Nichola Stirit (not sure how you spell her name?)

I have other earlier Glasgow codebooks and they don't have edition numbers - only a year of issue.

There were 376,338 lines in the Glasgow 041 Charge group at the end of March 1981. So 400,000 very likely the print run.

My local exchange only had the year on the front but when BT came along they started with 'Issue' 1' so you cannot rely on what is on the cover.

Ian J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glasgow DCBx3.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	279647  

Last edited by Pellseinydd; 12th Jun 2023 at 5:06 pm.
Closed Thread