UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2008, 9:29 pm   #21
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: Result of using WD40 as a finish on veneer?

Hi, when i was a lad working for Rediffusion we had some fantastic polish which we used on the cabinets of re-furbed sets. It was called Joynes waxless polish. I have never seen it around. Cheers, Malc.
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 9:40 pm   #22
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
It was called Joynes waxless polish. I have never seen it around.
https://vault2.secured-url.com/frenc...ss_Polish.html
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 10:40 pm   #23
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi, nice to see that you can still buy it. Not cheap, but it is very good stuff.
I used it to polish my ox blood boots at the time and you could see your face in them! Cheers, Malc.
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 10:52 pm   #24
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

As some forum members will know, there is an aerosol polish called "Servisol 'Refurb 40' "
which I have used to good effect on wooden cabinets from time to time. This is available from the usual sources such as CPC, Farnell, etc.
Old 25th Apr 2008, 3:56 am   #25
Bruce
Tetrode

Quote:
I was taught a trick - apply very hot linseed oil and work hard
to remove haze and minor cracking to cellulose finish
Hello PJL, I'm interested in your hot linseed oil treatment for another radiogram case - I wonder if it would be too far OT for you to enlarge on this methodology a little.
Bruce
Old 25th Apr 2008, 7:45 pm   #26
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit6345 View Post
Regarding cabinets and a bit OT, I was speaking to my local furniture restorer friend and he told me that when he was an apprentice his boss demonstrated the removal of white rings caused by water on french polished cabinets by dousing the top with meths and then igniting it. The meths flared up and the stain was gone. My cabinet maker friend surmises that the heat briefly melted the polish, releasing the trapped moisture under/in it. Can you imagine the reaction of a customer if you did that to his priceless Dynatron or whatever in his home! Needless to say my friend has never had the courage to try it himself.

Ian.
I think this was a technique for getting a very high polish on furniture, known as "flaming off"! Often used on pianos I belive.
Closed Thread