UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2008, 3:47 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Hacker Mayflower RV14 - help needed

Hi,

I've got a RV14 without any drive cord or station pointer . Has anybody got a diagram of the cord layout and/or a picture of the station pointer, so I can try to make something similar?

I also can't figure out how the back panel attaches to the cabinet

Thanks
David
Old 20th Feb 2008, 4:17 pm   #2
hotbulb
Tetrode

Default Re: Hacker Mayflower RV14 - help needed

Ah, you bought that one from ebay then Dave!
I think I've got the service manual at somewhere at home which you are welcome to borrow.
Old 20th Feb 2008, 4:56 pm   #3
Roy
Hexode

I'll try to take a photo of the cord & pointer on my set for you later today, unless someone else beats me to it. From memory, I don't think the manual includes a diagram, although there might be a written description of the layout.

The back cover is held on by sliding catches (four of them, I think) which should remain attached to the slots in the back cover. These engage with the thin wooden strips on the inside surface of the cabinet.

Roy
Old 20th Feb 2008, 5:15 pm   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
From memory, I don't think the manual includes a diagram, although there might be a written description of the layout.
Yes, your memory's correct. However I've just looked at the manual for the RV20 and there's a diagram there, so I'll use that

All I need now is some photos of the pointer, even ones just showing the pointer behind the tuning dial would be helpful.

Quote:
The back cover is held on by sliding catches (four of them, I think) which should remain attached to the slots in the back cover. These engage with the thin wooden strips on the inside surface of the cabinet.
Ah, I can see where these catches once went. Unfortunately they're missing, could I have some photos of these too

Thanks
David
Old 20th Feb 2008, 8:07 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi David,

I have about 20 pics on my PC from when I re-strung my RV20.

Most are rather good, but the only one that shows the cursor/ponter is this less than perfect one...

If you'd like the others, just send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Cheers,
Nick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cursor.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	15380  
Old 20th Feb 2008, 8:15 pm   #6
Roy
Hexode

As promised, some photos of the pointer and back cover catches.

The pointer should be easy enough to fabricate, and that type of carrier is used on many sets, so someone may recognise it and be able to supply one.

Those back cover catches are also commonly used. I'm sure I have seen them on Cossor sets as well.

Be careful when you replace the chassis in the cabinet, as it is easy to knock the sharp edge of the scale backplate against the painted scale and damage it. A piece of tape over the end nearest the magic eye will offer some protection.

Good luck,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV14pointer-front.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	15381   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV14pointer-rear.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	15382   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV14rearcatch.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	15383  
Old 21st Feb 2008, 1:36 am   #7
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbulb View Post
Ah, you bought that one from ebay then Dave!
Yep, that's the one, I think I got it at a bargain price too!

Nick and Roy, Thank you very much for the excellent pictures. I'm sure I, now, have all the information I need.

Quote:
Be careful when you replace the chassis in the cabinet, as it is easy to knock the sharp edge of the scale backplate against the painted scale and damage it.
Yes, there's a scratch on the dial, from a previous chassis removal, already. Fortunately it's confined to the black paint, so I'll be able to, easily, paint it in

Thanks
David
Closed Thread