UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2015, 11:02 am   #1
richrussell
Heptode

Default LP stylus under scanning electron microscope

I've put this in 'General Vintage Technology Discussion' as the Scanning Electron Microscope in question is a 1980s model that has been restored by a hobbyist, and he's using it to view the movement of a stylus in the groove of a period vinyl record.

Very interesting to see the needle following the groove, but he's also got a lot of nice information on his homebuilt scanning electron microscope as well as the restoration of this one, and lots of other interesting things.

http://benkrasnow.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 17th Jun 2015, 12:28 pm   #2
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: LP stylus under scanning electron microscope

Fascinating stuff!

Thanks for that.
Old 17th Jun 2015, 6:35 pm   #3

It's amazing the whole thing works at all even after 100 years or so.

Old 18th Jun 2015, 5:12 pm   #4
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Now that is interesting! I recall being around when a SEM was being used for a project I was working on years ago. I do hope, though, that the vinyl LP of Walter (now Wendy) Carlos' "Switched on Bach" was trash before he sawed it into pieces. As I recall, it was a really good album.
Colin.
Old 18th Jun 2015, 6:23 pm   #5
sp10mk11
Octode

That is amazing to watch, shows just how much thought has to go into making a stylus track a record...........wonderful thanks
Gary
Old 19th Jun 2015, 1:16 am   #6
Nicklyons2
Octode

As said above, we all know how it works but to see it is another thing. And seeing it how on earth does such wonderful sound eminate from such a 'shaky' looking mechanical process?
Old 19th Jun 2015, 12:49 pm   #7
wd40addict
Octode

Very interesting!

It's like a modern day equivalent of the microscope groove pictures that Cecil Watts used to take.

Regards,

Paul
Old 19th Jun 2015, 2:41 pm   #8
nicam49
Hexode

Wow what a guy! wonder what he does with his spare time...?
Old 19th Jun 2015, 3:54 pm   #9
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 View Post
As said above, we all know how it works but to see it is another thing. And seeing it how on earth does such wonderful sound emanate from such a 'shaky' looking mechanical process?
Yes, it's amazing what an everyday miracle of precision engineering the LP is. I always find it depressing that nowadays when an image of a phono cartridge playing a record on a turntable appears on television it is always accompanied by hefty amounts of crackling noises as though that were an inherent part of the reproduction of the LP's sound when it isn't if the records have been properly looked after and properly cleaned. I can virtually eliminate surface noise by using an ultrasonic bath to clean the records.
Old 23rd Jun 2015, 4:10 pm   #10
PsychMan
Octode

Indeed. When I tell people I love the sound of records, they often refer to how great it is to hear pops and crackles....um, not really?!

I tolerate them on poorer quality records, but as you say, you get a clean piece of vinyl that doesn't statically attract dust and it shouldn't be apparent.
Old 24th Jun 2015, 10:36 pm   #11
bikerhifinut
Octode

I have gotto the stage of wondering whether i should look out for a proper LP cleaning device. I get a lot of noise and I think maybe the used LPs I buy arent as clean as they look on the surface.

A
Old 25th Jun 2015, 9:56 am   #12
richrussell
Heptode

There's a huge variation in the quality of pressings too. Some are very soft and prone to damage, some are much more resilient.

I've got some albums that were regularly used in a nightclub which play better than some that have barely been played since new. I guess Iron Maiden's record company invested more in their production facilities than The Sisters Of Mercy's
Closed Thread