UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2008, 10:10 am   #1
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Smile Restoring Painted Lettering

I have been very lucky to secure a replacement Grill for my AC97 and want to revive the 'MEDIUM WAVES/LONG WAVES' lettering, which is impressed in the grill face (picture attached). Does anyone have any experience/advice on the best way to do this sort of thing?

Clearly some painting is required, but what’s the best type and is it better to try to carefully paint in the indent or just slap it on and polish off the excess when it is dry? My existing damaged grill has better lettering which is quite brown/cream in colour. I wonder if it was always that colour or whether it was originally white?

As usual I am sure the is an expert ‘lettering restorer’ out there! Thanks in anticipation. Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC97 Grill.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	15681  
Old 7th Mar 2008, 10:47 am   #2
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Restoring Painted Lettering

You used to be able to buy the wax-type "paint" that was used to fill in the lettering of AVO's and similar faceplates, but I doubt that it is still available.

However, some time ago I did tidy up the front of an AVO using a white wax crayon, of the type that kiddies use. Rub in, carefully wipe of surplus, and polish.
Looked as good as new.

I am sure there must be better ways, and no doubt someone will know what they are.
Old 7th Mar 2008, 11:09 am   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

I have used old Humbrol enamel paint, which has thickened somewhat in the tin. Clean the engraving with a toothbrush and white spirit, let it dry thoroughly, fill the engraving with the enamel, let it dry for half an hour, and then carefully wipe the surface. The drying time is fairly important - not long enough and you will lift the paint out of the engraving, but too long and you won't be able to clean any surplus paint off the surface.

Have a practice with something else, but be prepared to exercise your patience!
Old 7th Mar 2008, 11:28 am   #4
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Thanks for the advice. I am sure patience will be required -I think I will wait for one of those 'when I am in the mood' times - usually a Sunday!

The crayon/wax is an interesting idea - I wonder if that was how it was done originally? In large production there must have been an easy and efficient way to do it.

I am still wondering about the colour. Was it white originally?

Thanks
Chris
Old 7th Mar 2008, 12:07 pm   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeliteBear View Post
I am still wondering about the colour. Was it white originally?
White might have been original, but I think it doesn't look right on an old radio now. I use paint, as suggested in post #3, but I buy one of those little tester pots of emulsion from DIY stores. There's always a good selection of off white/beige colours to chose from.

David
Old 7th Mar 2008, 12:26 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

There is a photograph of an AC97 via the link at the top of this page. The lettering appears to be white, but it's unclear if this was original or just an assumption on the part of the restorer.

I also found one colour picture, in a book, of the AC97 version with ivory knobs, trim etc. Although unclear, it appears to have lettering colour matched to the respective band colours on the tuning scale. This raises the further question of whether the brown cabinet plus white lettering is original, or if the lettering was colour coded on all models regardless of trim/knob colour.
Old 7th Mar 2008, 1:52 pm   #7
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

I just mentioned this topic to a pal whose hobby is restoring clocks.

He tells me that some old clocks used a wax filler, that "is the same as used to be used on electronics equipment for filling lettering".

Apparently it is still available from suppliers to the clock/watch trade.
He suggested HS Walsh, of Beckenham, who used to stock it, and may still do so.
Old 7th Mar 2008, 3:46 pm   #8
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Thanks for all your help so far. I do feel that the wax filler must have been the way it was done in production. I can't see how else it would be possible to produce large runs. I have spoken to HS Walsh and found some product on this link:http://www.hswalsh.com/items.aspx?c=588

The lady I spoke to suggested the hard wax, but the website says that it is only for metal. The soft wax is available in a good range of colours including white and gold. Has anyone actually used this on Bakelite?
Old 7th Mar 2008, 4:26 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

See here for more definitive advice from the forum experts:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=avo+lettering

and here:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=avo+lettering

Nick.
Old 7th Mar 2008, 4:46 pm   #10
igranic
Rest in Peace

Chris

It may be worth experimenting with Markal paint sticks, which apply like crayon, but harden like paint. These are available from Tooled-Up.com and should be available from local industrial tool factors.

HTH
Edward
Old 7th Mar 2008, 5:38 pm   #11
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Thanks to everyone. I will let you know how I get on! Chris
Old 7th Mar 2008, 5:48 pm   #12
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

I've used little Humbrol paint pots too. When dry it will polish off. Try furnture polish (there seems to be a gentle solvent in most that will remove the excess paint if you just press over the paint with your finger leaving a thin smear across the raised bakelite) and/or use Brasso/Bakobrite to remove excess.

You seem to have quite deeply embossed mouldings so should leave a fairly good result.

One thing to watch for; if there are any nearby scratches, the paint can smear into those and is difficult to remove, so beware!

Ian
Old 7th Mar 2008, 6:04 pm   #13
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Stepney View Post
He tells me that some old clocks used a wax filler, that "is the same as used to be used on electronics equipment for filling lettering".
That was generally made from a mixture of shellac and lampblack, and either that or wax needs quite a bit of heat to make it flow.
No good for white lettering, either!

The links in Nick's post are the way to go.
Old 10th Mar 2008, 8:23 pm   #14
BakeliteBear
Pentode

As part of my quest to get the right colour for the lettering I have borrowed a microscope with the idea of removing a bit of the existing lettering and seeing what colour it is underneath. With a careful scrape with a cocktail stick and a long peer down the lens of the microscope I discovered ... well not a lot really, but there is certainly no sign of any white. The colour was the sort of earwax shade of brown, but much closer to a gold/bronze than a white or cream. I have a hunch that the lettering was gold to match the speaker cloth. Does that make sense to anyone, or ring any bells??

Thanks to everybody who has posted a reply. I really appreciate the support and it makes me feel a little less odd to know there are others who want to bring back to life a little bit of history.