UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2011, 11:06 pm   #1
Andy gw0jxm
Tetrode

Default Manual and circuit for MK 128?

Where can I find a copy of the operating manual and circuit for the radio in the picture I believe its a MK128 (or SR128)

On the front of the radio there’s a gold label marked 33 CW6 76 what does that relate to?

It's the first time I've seen inside one of these little sets and I was wondering what on earth the four valves were doing without any connections to the valve bases when it dawned on me that they must be spares.

The crystal is 3600 KC/s dated 1943 so I guess it's older than the transmitter.

As always any assistance will gratefully received.

Kind Regards... Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MK 128 copy.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	45147  
Old 14th Jan 2011, 12:11 am   #2
Sparky67
Pentode

Default Re: manual and circuit for MK 128?

Mine has a similar label Andy.

I'm guessing it refers to 33 Central Workshops in Newark, which closed in March 1987, so maybe the 76 relates to the year it was last serviced, and possibly 6 the month ?

http://british-army-units1945on.co.u...Workshops.aspx

There is a set of Mk128 manuals listed on the VMARS web site

http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/archive/files_index.htm

starting at 1633.

Have fun !

All the best

Martin
G4NCE
Old 14th Jan 2011, 10:36 am   #3
GMB
Nonode

Default Re: manual and circuit for MK 128?

Yes, mine has the same label. I'm thinking that 76 is more likely the year they were scrapped.

I would love to know why on earth this set was ever made. My understanding is that it was a special for the SAS. But it's such a tacky thing and with no tropicalisation - and yet there were better sets available.

Every one I have seen has the same distinctive appearance of a not very well made home-brew set. You can tell if someone has modified it at all because those parts will look more professional
Closed Thread