UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2013, 3:35 pm   #1
PsychMan
Octode

Default No ring - RJ11 wiring

Hi Folks,

Odd one here. I have 2 old BT GPO telephones, and 1 linksys voip adaptor. I've configured the linksys to essentially be a Ring-down circuit - You lift one receiver, the other rings.

Here is the problem, the linksys needs RJ11 inputs for the phones. No problem, I thought. One phone did not have a plug, but an old juction box, so I connected the wires I needed and wired in a modem lead with an RJ11 connector. The other phone has a modern day BT plug on it, so I bought an adaptor.

The phone with the RJ11 modem cable connected to it rings just fine, but if I use the BT-RJ11 adaptor, I get no ring at all. My configuration is fine, both phones can talk, and if I change port the problem stays with the phone. I've tried a modern phone, and have the same problem when using this adaptor. Both GPO phones ring just fine when plugged into a BT telephone socket.

My ring settings are as follows: 90V AC, 20 Hz Sin wave

Any thoughts on what might cause the phones to not ring? Ironically the phone that does ring is the oldest (GPO 1970 Topaz yellow), inside both phones dont appear to be modified, although the 74 GPO phone does have a modern lead

Im new to playing with phones so feel free to call me an idiot

Thanks
Adam
Old 10th Aug 2013, 5:48 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: No ring - RJ11 wiring

Ensure that both telephones are wired correctly according to
http://www.britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm
(scroll down to Tele 746)

Then use an adapter that incorporates a ringing capacitor eg
http://www.novavox.co.uk/accessories...itor-p-59.html
http://soho66.co.uk/7369/all/1/RJ11-...apacitor).aspx
Old 11th Aug 2013, 1:40 pm   #3
Alex728
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: No ring - RJ11 wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
that will definitely work if the phone is correctly wired inside. I've used both the adapters broadbandstuff sell with PAP2Ts and the "PABX master" adaptor for structured cabling.

A funny (but on topic) story, my day job is of ICT and Facilities Management (basically anything with a plug on it or goes near the computer network or both) for two care homes and a homecare agency (I understand its not "PC" to call them "old peoples homes" any more (in any case even the oldest of you on here are normally too young for one provided your legs hold out).

There we use a mixture of IP phones and analogue sets at the end of either a PAP2T or SPA8000. A while back I got asked to provide two analogue internal extensions to two communal parts of the home, barred to level 5 only (this site is extensions 500-599) so that visitors could call carers with Ascom DECT sets internally.

However the senior director liked the setup but said "those phones (Lazerbuilt desk series) are much too big and bulky, can you replace them with slimline wallmounted ones?" So I recovered those but left the RJ45 to BT socket tail in each outlet to remind me those were linked to a distant analogue circuit and not to the LAN.

Concurrently, they bought a black 746 at a car boot sale (made 1972 in Scotland). The idea of it was to use it as a prop for the residents to look at in a reminisence area rather than an actual phone. as they hadn't quite decided which reminisence area to put it in (I think they have 1940/50s and 1960s/70s themes). These areas are where the outlets are to the aforementioned extensions,.

Now being still young and prone to mistakes, I had forgot to make notes of the exact extension numbering and patching arrangements of the two extension phones, and this is where the fun starts...

I stored the 746 phone in the comms room (and tested it and found it working). my colleague at this who was an ex NATO telecomms engineer for USA and his native Canada but does general maintenance got a request to "put the phone in the reminisence area" - which of course he interprets as a provide and on seeing my RJ45 adaptor left there plugged it straight in.

then a new manager joined. she gets a CISCO IP phone with double key and lamp unit but of course I still need to provide it and allocate an extension number.

So I tried ringing the two "spare" extensions for the reminiscene area as I couldn't remember if I'd left their PAP2T intact or recovered it and ceased the extensions (in which case I'd reallocate one to the new manager).

The first "spare" rang out as I expected, there was nothing connected.
but for the second after about 20 seconds I heard the tail end of a 746 bell echoing and a very surprised and shocked young nurse in her 20s answered, apologising for the delay but said "I didn't know if I was evem supposed to answer this ancient old phone but it suddenly started ringing, I didn't think these things still worked today..."

I had to rather sheepishly reply that I hadn't expected it to be connected up at all - but at least this episode shows the durability of the old tech
Closed Thread