UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2013, 2:43 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Roberts RD60 re-style

My daughter, a big Cath Kidston fan, recently moved into her first home. She need a radio but unfortunately I couldn’t tempt her with any of the ones clogging up my house! She liked the special addition Cath Kidston Roberts RD60’s but couldn’t justify spending £200 on one… Leave it with me I said.

A quick search on Ebay found a rough RD60, which didn’t work on DAB. After a successful bid and a couple of days wait it arrived and the fun began.

It didn’t take long to find a little xtal floating around in the DAB module. Re-soldering this part restored the radio to full functionality.

Now came the hard work. The radio was completely disassembled and the old covering was removed. Unlike older Roberts radios this covering is completely glued down to the cabinet and pulling it off was difficult. White spirit was used to remove old traces of glue a bit of wood filler was needed to repair some damage done to the MDF cabinet whilst pulling the covering off.

The oil cloth was purchased from Cath Kidston and the old covering was used as templates. The pattern is not the same as used on the genuine Cath Kidston radio but my daughter preferred it. Spray contact adhesive (brown in colour) showed through the oil cloth, so I used white Evo Stick contact adhesive. Unfortunately this adhesive is applied with a brush and frequent brush cleaning was needed to prevent lumps and balls forming. Covering the cabinet need a few attempts before I was happy with the results. Careful use of a hairdryer, to warm the corners and knowing where to where to snip away access material, was key to getting a good result.

I hand stitched the cover to the handle, using the original stitch holes in the inner handle as a guide. This wasn’t as easy as it sounds and took many hours to do!

All in all a very time consuming project but well worth it as my daughter loves it!

Here's some before pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	4052
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	86043   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3946
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	86044   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	2836
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	86045   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	2524
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	86046  
Old 15th Nov 2013, 2:45 pm   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: Roberts RD60 re-style

... and some after photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	4586
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	86047   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	2795
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	86048   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	2573
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	86049   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	2815
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	86050  
Old 15th Nov 2013, 4:29 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Very nice job, though not to my taste!

The material used to cover the RD60 seems to be very vulnerable to damage. My dark blue one has several nicks and scrapes despite not being treated roughly. I may be recovering it at some stage, though not with that pattern

I wonder if it might be possible to recover over the old covering without removing it?
Old 15th Nov 2013, 4:32 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, a very nice job, David, though not my cup of tea either! A real labour of love, I hope your daughter appreciates it.

Interesting points about the flimsy original covering, Paul. I can remember seeing these on display in shops, already looking awful after only a few weeks at the hands of the general public.

Nick
Old 17th Nov 2013, 10:37 am   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

You have done a superb job with that set, I love the attention to detail
I hope your daughter appreciates all the time and trouble you have spent on it.

Mark
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 10:36 pm   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

What a nice result Dave, very well done. Not only did you fix the DAB electronics fault, you've done a brilliant job with the covering. And you have given me an idea for bringing my old Ever Ready Sky Queen up to date...

I too have seen modern Roberts sets looking very shabby, despite being only a year old and being carefully treated. It's a pity they appear to have spoilt the ship for a ha'porth of tar. My R200 still looks as good as new.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 14th Dec 2013, 4:48 pm   #7
tin0gauge
Tetrode

Hello Dave you refer to the covering as "Oil Cloth". Is this the shiny stuff that gets used for waterproof table cloths and the like, with a cloth backing ? Bryan.

BTW nice job on that radio, looks terrific. I assume this is easier if the cabinet separates into various pieces as there are less multiple complex curves to deal with.
Old 15th Dec 2013, 12:37 pm   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Bryan,

Oil cloth is the description Cath Kidston uses. Her "oil cloth" is indeed used for a multitude of things, like tablecloths, aprons, pencil cases, etc and, of course, limited edition Roberts radios.

Actually this cabinet isn't as freindly as older Roberts radios to recover and it doesn't dismantle like you expect it to. The beading, for example, is in a recess and not in between two pieces of cabinet like you'd expect it.

David
Old 16th Dec 2013, 11:22 am   #9
GJR 11L
Heptode

A most impressive transformation.
The state of my fingers these days dictates that the only recovering jobs I can take on are those involving simple folds in a single plane such as the vinyl on Hacker Sovereign 3 and Hunter which is a shame as I expect there'd be a ready market for such craftily modified Roberts sets.

@ Phil G4SPZ: It's "sheep", not "ship". The term comes from veterinary medicine.
Old 16th Dec 2013, 1:07 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Really good Dave. I source retro/trendy things for my daughter but lack the practised [particularly cabinet] skills that you obviously have. It doesn't really matter whether I like them or not myself but the yellow Sony Boombox sourced through the Forum was attractive. Given the comment from Phil about rapid deterioration with modern Roberts models you may have a potential cottage industry on your hands.
Dave W
Old 16th Dec 2013, 1:38 pm   #11
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for the kind replies.

Brand new a Cath Kidston RD60 costs just under £200. This broken radio, PSU, oil cloth and adhesive, probably, cost me around £80. If I attach any value to my labour (it took ages!) I'm sure I'd make loss, if I tried to sell it.

I also took a massive chance buying a broken RD60. I was very lucky to fix it.

David
Old 17th Dec 2013, 6:23 pm   #12
camtechman
Nonode

Let's hope Cath Kidston & Roberts aren't litigious
Old 17th Dec 2013, 7:13 pm   #13

Even SHMBO would like that... Super.

Quote:
Not for a one off, not profit job.

Old 17th Dec 2013, 7:29 pm   #14
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
Hmm, interesting reply. The genuine Cath Kidston RD60's have a unique oil cloth design, which isn't available to the public. This radio has been re-covered with a different "off the roll" Cath Kidston design and it's not trying, or pretending, to be a copy of the genuine Cath Kidston Roberts RD60.

David
Old 20th Dec 2013, 8:17 am   #15
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

That's truly impressive. Top job
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 3:00 pm   #16
bluerocketgirly
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Roberts RD60 re-style

Thanks so much Dave for your post. I have a Roberts DAB radio and the casing is a real state. If I knew it would end up peeling off so badly, especially the handle, I doubt I would have wanted one!

I am inspired by your re-covering the one in the photo. Your results have now made me happy in the knowledge that I can restore my radio to a state that is much more pleasing!!

Thank you

Rachel
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 10:17 pm   #17
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Great job. I'm sure your daughter will (or does) love it.
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 2:46 am   #18
batterymaker1
Heptode

Good grief, did a cat have a fight with that set?

You made a significant improvement with that recovering. I bet your daughter's still showering you with kisses.
Old 9th Mar 2015, 5:26 pm   #19
nc_ola_h
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave,

I wonder if you can help me. I am trying to recover my roberts, but can't seem to get the inner workings of the radio out. Any tips?

Thanks
Old 28th Mar 2015, 10:29 am   #20
Mike Noble
Pentode

I know it's not vintage but I too would like to recover an RD50. I can see how most of it comes apart but the plastic battery holder and speaker seem to have screws from the front.
Would anyone know if you need to remove the covering material to access these or is there another way?

Thank you
Closed Thread