UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 10th Apr 2024, 9:22 am   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Gents synchronous clock

The museum where I work as a volunteer has unearthed this small but very heavy Gents mains synchronous clock. It appears to have been designed to fit into, say, a control panel. The entire clock hinges outwards for adjustment and is held in place by a heavy cast iron ring. The glass is thick and bevelled. The clock looks like it would survive any physical assault!

Has anyone ever seen anything like it? The coil measures 4k so it should run.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9012.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	296145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9013.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	296146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9011.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	296147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9010.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	296148  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2024, 9:36 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Gents synchronous clock

Nice!

May have also started life recessed into wooden panelling or mounted on a circular wooden base hung on a solid wall.

I have a similar Gents one made for the GPO and another smaller Smith one.

I did some training at the 1930s QE hospital in Birmingham in the 1990s and there were lots of spots where the original Gents recessed clocks had been ripped out and a cheap quartz job nailed over the top.
Nickthedentist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2024, 1:02 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks Nick, that’s very interesting. I didn’t know that Gents had ever made synchronous movements. This one has three worm-and-wheel reduction stages driving the motion work. I now need to find a mains socket to fit…

We are actually looking for a clock to go in our 1950s Post Office, so I was interested to note that Gents had made clocks for the GPO. Any chance of a picture of your example, please?

Hospitals, now there’s a thought - could the clock once have been part of an operating theatre panel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9018.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	296170  

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 10th Apr 2024 at 1:09 pm. Reason: Afterthought
Old 10th Apr 2024, 1:15 pm   #4
Robsradio
Heptode

Very nice, Gent made clocks to last, as they have done, I run a few at home.
Hopefully it will run ok, but if not, or it's difficult to start, the problem is dried grease on the motor flywheel.
The flywheel should move independently from the rotor and it's motion is limited by a spring.
Over time the oil and grease dry and seize the flywheel on the spindle and it no longer does it's intended job and results in difficulty starting the clock and random stoppages.
A degrease and lubricate and it will start first time, most times, and will run a treat.
I would probably attend to cleaning and lubricating the rest of the movement whilst apart.
R
Robsradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2024, 1:22 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks for that, Rob. The movement is somewhat similar to the later 1950s Ferranti types with the solenoid coil and worm reduction gearing, and the sprung flywheel looks much the same. It actually looks very clean inside and there’s no solidified grease anywhere. I’ll give it a test run and see how it goes.