UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 10th Apr 2024, 12:02 am   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Flip Clock Mechanisms Sticking

Hi all

I recently bought a 70s Binatone flip clock which is working somewhat well. I have noticed that if the alarm is set within a specific range of times, the clock mechanism sticks and can be stiff to turn by the user control on the front. Alternatively, if the alarm is set outside of this range, it itself is stiff to adjust, but the clock mechanism ticks over and keeps accurate time.

I oiled the motor as recommended, and noticed that the actual motors mechanism is running smoothly, and even when the clock fails to tick over, it's still running smoothly, which leads me to think that the fault lies outside of the main motor assembly, but within the user adjustment mechanisms/clock assembly.

I have seen others mentioning applying isopropyl alcohol to the mechanism, spinning it round to work it in and clear out any gunk, and then applying oil to lubricate it once again. While in theory this sounds like it would work, I'd imagine that there's a more 'tactful' approach. I'm not well experienced with flip clocks so thought it best to ask. It uses a Copal GG-2483 mechanism if that helps. The motor is mounted behind the clock assembly, rather than next to it.

I just wondered if anyone else has come across this issue before and if so how did they deal with it, if they could? I'd like to do this properly as I'm keen on keeping it as a daily runner, so want to do the best by it.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers!
19Seventy7 is offline   Reply With Quote