UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2018, 12:58 pm   #1
dannysefton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Can I use vintage Philips record player with new Bose speaker?

Hi,

I've recently moved into a new place and brought my Philips 13GF826 record player along with me. I was using a Coomber speaker up until now, but it's too big for the new flat unfortunately.

I was wondering if I would be able to buy a device or adapter to connect my record player to my Bose SoundTouch 20?

The Philips has what looks like two 5-pin ports - one says 'Tape' and the other says 'Radio' as well as two more ports for the Left Speaker and Right Speaker, and the Bose has an AUX input. This is all a bit new to me and no matter how much I read I can't seem to get my head around it.

I'm thinking that I might need a preamp? But I'm really not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

I've attached an image of the back of the record player - please forgive the dust, it's in need of a good clean!

Thanks in advance,

Danny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips Record Player Ports.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	174115  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 1:34 pm   #2
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default Re: Can I use vintage Philips record player with new Bose speaker?

Hello,

Does the Philips unit have a headphones socket? If so, the output of the socket could be fed into your Bose amp.

I'm not too sure about the DIN sockets. Radio could be an audio input and tape could be an audio output.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 1:50 pm   #3
Beobloke
Heptode

You should be able to conenct the tape output of your record player into the auxiliary input of the B*se - you just need the right lead.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 1:58 pm   #4
dannysefton
Retired Dormant Member

I don't think that it has a headphone socket, sadly.

Thanks for getting back to me - I bought this lead (https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-3-5.../dp/B003OSNVC4) but it didn't seem to work, which is why I thought it might need some sort of preamp in the middle.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 2:01 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

Get hold of a stereo 5 pin DIN plug to a 3.5 mm jack plug cable. 3m cables are available on-line for a couple pounds or so. Plug the DIN end into the tape socket of the record player and the jack plug into the AUX socket of the Bose. Follow the instructions for a wired connection in the Bose manual and you should be good to go.

Alan
Old 7th Dec 2018, 2:07 pm   #6
dannysefton
Retired Dormant Member

Great, thanks Alan - I'll have another go at making the cable I bought work. It might be that I had the wrong settings on the Bose.

Cheers,
Danny
Old 7th Dec 2018, 2:53 pm   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Hope it works Danny. If not, try the radio socket but let us know if you're still having problems.

Alan
Old 7th Dec 2018, 3:43 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Don't forget that DIN plugs had inputs and outputs on them; two sets of connections. As a consequence you have to make sure you get a DIN to 3.5mm stereo jack lead that is for playback purposes, not recording. Get the wrong one and it won't work. See here for connections:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector
Old 7th Dec 2018, 5:37 pm   #9
ajgriff
Nonode

A valid point of course and will need investigation if Danny doesn't have any joy.

Alan
Old 7th Dec 2018, 5:50 pm   #10
Studio263
Octode

'Ports' are for computers, audio equipment has sockets or connectors.

The tape output will be to the DIN standard level as it is intended to match the Philips tape recorders of the era. It is a very low level, much lower than the 'line' level output that you'd get from Japanese equipment from this era. DIN level is about the same as what you get out of a microphone, e.g. not very much! Remember too that you convert 'line' to 'DIN' (badly) by putting a pair of 470k resistors in series, that gives an idea of the voltages and impedances involved. To do it the other way requires an amplifier, as the original poster identified.

I expect there will be hardly any volume, even if you do manage to get it to work. The loudest sound will be that of a dead horse being flogged, why not just buy a little pair of ordinary speakers and plug those into the Philips?
Old 7th Dec 2018, 6:01 pm   #11
Groovy1
Triode

Looking at the pinout shown in your Amazon link, pins 3,5 and 2 on the 5 pin din are connected to the 3.5mm jack. According to the Wikipedia link provided above, those are input pins on an amplifier. So I think you need to either modify the cable or get one that uses pins 1 (left out), 4 (right out) and 2 (screen).
Old 7th Dec 2018, 7:14 pm   #12
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
'Ports' are for computers,
No, ports are for ships...

I must say I agree, though - it does sound like a small pair of speakers would be the best way to go.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 7:35 pm   #13
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post

The tape output will be to the DIN standard level as it is intended to match the Philips tape recorders of the era. It is a very low level, much lower than the 'line' level output that you'd get from Japanese equipment from this era. DIN level is about the same as what you get out of a microphone, e.g. not very much! Remember too that you convert 'line' to 'DIN' (badly) by putting a pair of 470k resistors in series, that gives an idea of the voltages and impedances involved. To do it the other way requires an amplifier, as the original poster identified.

I expect there will be hardly any volume, even if you do manage to get it to work. The loudest sound will be that of a dead horse being flogged, why not just buy a little pair of ordinary speakers and plug those into the Philips?
Mercifully I've never heard a dead horse being flogged but I doubt if the level disparity will be that severe. Bose doesn't seem to provide much technical info for its products and I have no idea as to the actual outputs from the Philips DIN sockets. A case of suck it and see I think.

The wiring issue is more likely to be the challenge I suspect.

Alan
Old 7th Dec 2018, 9:20 pm   #14
teetoon
Heptode

Hello Danny. I've had a quick google of your Bose unit and see it has the standard 3.5mm Aux jack input. This will take the signal output from your Philips but as already stated above, the pin connections in your current DIN plug are for input not out. What you are doing at the moment is connecting input on the philips to input on the Bose.
You may be able to find a ready made cable where the DIN is terminated using pins 1 and 4 for signal and pin 2 for earth. I'll have a quick look to see if anything comes up online.
You could use one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-3-5mm-...ZCkL:rk:6:pf:0 and then one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20cm-5-PI...Hmk:rk:25:pf:0 You can then try each of the 4 connections from the philips until you get a left and right signal to the Bose. This way you don't have to solder any fiddly DIN plugs as there don't seem to be any ready made leads with the configuration you need.

EDIT: I see I linked a 5 metre cable there, obviously they make shorter ones but the plugs are the same.
David.

Last edited by teetoon; 7th Dec 2018 at 9:37 pm. Reason: more info.
Old 16th Dec 2018, 8:50 pm   #15
dannysefton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all!

Thank you for your help and apologies for taking time to reply.

I'm going to give the wiring a go, but I'm not positive that I will be able to get it to work, so a couple of speakers might be the best bet.

As I said earlier on the post, this is all a bit new to me, so do you guys have any suggestions for speakers (or the types of speaker) that I should be looking for for this? I've had a look but I'm struggling to find ones with the left and right wires as it appears on the record player!

It might be a case that a set of speakers would sound more authentic than plugging it straight into the Bose anyway!

Cheers for all your help so far,

Danny
Old 16th Dec 2018, 9:29 pm   #16
pmmunro
Octode

Danny,

I don't have any information on the Philips 13GF826 record player, and I may be telling you what you already know, but it is vital that you check that your record player is safe to use with external equipment.

Many record players were "live chassis" designs which need to be isolated from the mains to avoid the risk of severe, very possibly fatal, electric shock.

Sorry if this does not apply, but safety is paramount. (I still have the scars nearly 60 years later).

PMM
Old 16th Dec 2018, 10:53 pm   #17
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Your Philips is perfectly safe to use wth external speakers.
For £40 (or less ) you can buy online a good used pair of 1970s Tannoy, Goodmans or Wharfedale bookshelf speakers (6-8 oms) which will sound just great with your 8 watts per channel Philips.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 10:23 am   #18
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Your Philips is perfectly safe to use wth external speakers.
I think the fact that the picture attached to post #1 shows DIN type loudspeaker sockets is ample proof of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysefton View Post
I've had a look but I'm struggling to find ones with the left and right wires as it appears on the record player!
Leads fitted with speaker type DIN plugs are readily available. You'd just have to connect them to your chosen speakers.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 2:33 pm   #19
Techman
Dekatron

As far as I can see, the circuit isn't available from the list of instant downloads on this site, so here's a quick snapshot of it below - speakers need to be of the 8 ohm impedance type with plug types as said above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120167.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	174792   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120168.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	174793  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 3:29 pm   #20
dannysefton
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the help guys,

I'll let you know how I get on.
Closed Thread