UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2019, 7:06 pm   #1
alanworland
Heptode

Default Pioneer SA 410, mains sockets problem

I picked up one of the above amps at a boot sale, super condition and performs very well for a tenner!
It has on its rear panel two switched and one unswitched mains sockets for powering other units. Initially the sockets looked like the more normal 'kettle plug' type but upon offering up a plug the earth pin socket is about half the size as normal and hence won't fit!
Does anyone know what this socket type is called? and can the plugs be got hold of?
It has moulded it it CM-10 and HIRAKAWA.

Alan
Old 10th Oct 2019, 9:47 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Pioneer SA 410, mains sockets problem

A picture will help. Just looked via Google and there are 3 different sockets shown in images all saying they are Pioneer SA 410.
Old 10th Oct 2019, 10:26 pm   #3
teetoon
Heptode

Hi Alan. From your description I would say it was like the plug on the TX 410 in this link :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-T...8AAOSwA71dg-oK
They are not common anymore but you ocassionaly see them on ebay although the descriptions vary so not easy to find.

Pioneer used them for their stack systems for convenience. There are 2 pin and 3 pin versions and a non earthed type which has a plastic earth pin for location only so polarity is maintained.

I had one on a pioneer timer and replaced it with a standard chassis iec socket. I think a little bit of filing was necessary but makes it much more usable. Of course if you go this route the mains lead to the amp would need to be a 3 core to be safe and comply.

David.
Old 10th Oct 2019, 10:48 pm   #4
alanworland
Heptode

Thanks for your replies. David that looks like the beastie!
As you can see from photo it looks like a kettle plug with the earth pin filed to half it's width, think I will have to manufacture one.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sockets small.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	191673  
Old 10th Oct 2019, 11:20 pm   #5
teetoon
Heptode

The earth pin on the plug for that type of socket is just plastic as you wouldn't want the rest of the system earthed or there would be earth loop hums.

I see what looks like a 3 core mains lead so you could get 3 iec sockets and install those for less than the price of the original plugs.

David.
Old 11th Oct 2019, 9:34 am   #6
cmjones01
Nonode

Another option for a connector to fit those might be the pale grey "Rendar" type mains plugs. Their pins are the same size and pitch as a standard IEC C13/14 connector, but without the shroud round the outside. This means that it's very easy to put the earth pin in to one of the live pins of a standard "kettle" mains lead, which is really dangerous and is probably why they fell out of favour.

I've seen them used on 1980s professional equipment and there are probably still some around somewhere.

Chris
Old 12th Oct 2019, 12:00 am   #7
Chiltern
Heptode

Looks like this one. A Bulgin part P672

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ASIDSCN8955.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	191729   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASIDSCN8956.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	191730  
Old 12th Oct 2019, 2:18 am   #8
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

And that was superseded, for the reason Chris mentioned, in about 1988, by one with a plastic projection to stop it fitting an IEC lead, which could be removed with a sharp knife and brute force when needed as a legitimate replacement for the earlier type!
Old 12th Oct 2019, 2:52 am   #9
teetoon
Heptode

I still say replace them with IEC snap in sockets and have done with it.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-3-pin-I...YAAOxyeglTbOTZ

David.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IEC Chassis socket.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	191731  
Old 13th Oct 2019, 11:30 pm   #10
alanworland
Heptode

Thanks, changing the sockets seems a better way to go plus it would give the opportunity bro change the mains cable which looks like it could supply a 3kw heater!

Alan
Old 14th Oct 2019, 8:01 am   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanworland View Post
Thanks, changing the sockets seems a better way to go plus it would give the opportunity bro change the mains cable which looks like it could supply a 3kw heater!

Alan
The mains cable has to be big enough to supply all the sockets and the amp. If there is 110 volt capability then the current will be roughly doubled - hence the fat cable is needed. It may just be that they used the same cable on all models sold worldwide. I would leave the cable as it is.
Old 14th Oct 2019, 8:18 am   #12

You can get two pole IEC plugs/sockets.

Closed Thread