UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2017, 10:30 am   #21
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: What type of capacitor for R.F. decoupling ?

Older silver-mica capacitors certainly were axial leaded, and I've got a lot of them as NOS. Rather fragile mechanically, and wax-covered. There were also some military types covered with moulded plastic or even ceramic, probably the best style in my opnion.
Later, the standard type was covered in a hard red layer, but typically with the two legs from one side, ie radial, for PCB mounting.
I was wondering whether anybody made axial types with the hard epoxy covering, akin to those linked to above, but with a lead out of each side.
Andy
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 10:50 am   #22
ms660
Dekatron

I have vague memories of using hard cased axial SM's, brownish colour.

The most common type of axial SM that I came across were waxed covered, there were some that had no covering except some kind of paint, yellow, orange and sometimes white.

Lawrence.
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 11:42 am   #23
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I have also, in the past, used the hard cased brownish SM Caps, and those I still have are that type. Many years ago I used SM caps of that type, in different values, wired to appropriate pins of a B9A valveholde, into which Denco Coils of different ranges could be plugged, automatically connecting to a padder cap. of the correct value when the coil was changed.
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 7:39 pm   #24
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
I was wondering whether anybody made axial types with the hard epoxy covering, akin to those linked to above, but with a lead out of each side.
Andy
I have looked without success recently. I had to replace 3 510pF moulded micas and a 100pF in an audio amp (100pFCAP pic attached). I had a few RadioSpares 500pF red which had the horrible metal tape legs. They had been salvaged from some early digital pcbs and had leads only a couple of mm long. I soldered a couple of BTCu wires and araldited along the bottom. Touched up with some Humbrol enamel. I could have extended the wires round the corner and made them fully axial I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100pfCap.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	151208   Click image for larger version

Name:	RScaps.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	151209