UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2014, 7:43 pm   #1
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Picture file size reduction

Hi Gents, I believe there was a posting at on time on reducing the size of pictures/ files so they could be attached to posts. I've looked in FAQ's to no avail; can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks, Ed
Old 11th Oct 2014, 8:03 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Picture file size reduction

The forum software will resize them for you as long as they aren't excessively big. Images from a modern digital camera or smartphone may be too big for automatic resizing though.

Any photo editing software can be used to resize images. Irfanview, Paint.net and Gimp are all free (the first two are for Windows only).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 11th Oct 2014, 8:19 pm   #3
beamcurrent
Heptode

There are a number of programs that will add themselves to the windows options box that opens when you right click a file. Very convenient. the one for XP was nicer that the one for Win7.

Typically called "imageresizer" google it but be sure you download it from a reputable site! should be free.

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 11th Oct 2014, 8:41 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Another solution is to reduce the resolution on the digital camera when taking photos. 1 megapixel will be fine for internet use.
Old 11th Oct 2014, 10:22 pm   #5
kellys_eye
Octode

For jpg images you often get the opportunity to save them using a different compression ratio (I know Paintshop Pro has this facility, I'd be surprised to find others didn't).

Just dropping the compression from 100% (no compression) to 75% reduces the filesize considerably and, providing the image doesn't need any special hi-definition requirements, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Here's two views from my back garden, one at full resolution, one compressed 50% (69k and 46k filesizes respectively)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loch view 1 (uncompressed).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	98722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Loch view 2 (compressed).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	98723  
Old 12th Oct 2014, 9:12 am   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Thanks for that gents.

Ed
Old 12th Oct 2014, 11:45 am   #7
SurreyNick
Heptode

In fact the Paint program that comes as part of all Windows operating systems can be used to crop and to resize photos.

1. Open your photo in Paint
2. Use the 'Zoom Out' option under View so you can see the whole of your picture on the screen.
3. Use the 'Select' option under Home to highlight the part of the photo you want to post and then click 'Crop'. This will keep the portion of the photo you selected and delete the rest.
4. Select 'Resize' and in the pop-up box select 'Pixels'. Ensure the 'Maintain aspect ratio' box is ticked. (I generally find that selecting a horizontal size of 800 pixels will give you a file size of about 200Kb for a .jpg).
5. Use the 'Save as' option to save your resized image as a .jpg.

Hope this helps
Nick
Old 12th Oct 2014, 11:53 am   #8
PE9ZZ_JO22KI
Pentode

What is actually the maximum image size before the forum S/W starts to resize? Knowing this speeds up upload, albeit marginally.

Tjerk, 9ZZ
Old 12th Oct 2014, 1:59 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

When you choose to add an attachment the maximum dimensions and file sizes are shown. If it exceeds any of those it will be resized, if not it won't.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Oct 2014, 3:00 pm   #10
camallison
Heptode

PIXresizer - I have used it for many years in its various versions - simple and straightforward. You can find it at www.bluefive.pair.com

Colin
Closed Thread