UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2014, 11:45 pm   #1
SurreyNick
Heptode

Default Power Pentode Output Choke

I have here a couple of pictures of a Telsen Power Pentode Output Choke. 30/15H - 40mA with a 1.3/1 ratio and a 1.7/1 ratio.

Can someone tell me it's purpose within a circuit and where it would be located? Is it an amplifier for the audio output (pentode) valve? It's not an output transformer for matching with a speaker is it?

Thanks
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Telsen Power Pentode Output Choke (01).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	97506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telsen Power Pentode Output Choke (02).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	97507  
Old 14th Sep 2014, 4:21 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Power Pentode Output Choke

I'd hazard a guess at it being a load choke for an output valve feeding a hi-z loudspeaker via a capacitor. The strange ratio tap might have something to do with hum cancellation.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Sep 2014, 5:23 pm   #3
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thanks Chris.
It's definitely an LF Choke but it confuses me because it's almost certainly iron-cored, which would indicate it would be used for valve coupling, or for connecting a loud-speaker to the output valve, but my understanding was that for either of these two functions it should have an inductance of NOT LESS than 50 henries. This choke is much lower. So was it intended for smoothing to cancel hum as you suggest? In which case I was interested to know how and when it would have been employed in a circuit as it looks like it was a late 1920s / very early 1930s component.

I don't have sufficient knowledge or experience to tell if it was designed for D.C. current only, or A.C. only, or both. And if it is A.C. then I believe the field of uses could be greater

I consider it part of my education and learning to find out.

Nick
Old 14th Sep 2014, 7:58 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Nick, a consultation of the Telsen "Radiomag" shows it at 10/6 and used with a capacitor to couple to a speaker.
They were also advertised for classB stages as well.
They could also be used without a capacitor with certain high Z speakers.

Ed
Old 14th Sep 2014, 8:15 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyNick View Post
It's definitely an LF Choke but it confuses me because it's almost certainly iron-cored, which would indicate it would be used for valve coupling, or for connecting a loud-speaker to the output valve, but my understanding was that for either of these two functions it should have an inductance of NOT LESS than 50 henries.
It's not humongously lower than 50 henries, only by a factor of 3 or so, for your 15H figure. So it would work as an output choke, as others have suggested. Bass response would be curtailed with the lesser inductance, but the late 1920's and early 1930's were not the era of hi-fi. Efficiency and maximum gain was the task then!
Old 15th Sep 2014, 12:38 am   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

For circuitry of this age, any of FJ Camm's many books are a good guide. There's always at least one set that matches near enough to be of use.
This one just specifies a Pentode output choke, no ratio mentioned. I expect yours has four terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pentode.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	97565  
Old 15th Sep 2014, 2:49 pm   #7
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thanks Bill. I will have a rifle through his books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
...used with a capacitor to couple to a speaker.
They could also be used without a capacitor with certain high Z speakers.
Mmm. That's good news. Do you reckon it would couple with that small 5" speaker you sent me? If so, I'll use it instead of the small transformer for the TRF - much more handsome.
Nick
Old 15th Sep 2014, 7:33 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Nick, no it was intended to be used with a high Z speaker; used with the OP trans as well it should be OK for a demo.

Ed
Old 15th Sep 2014, 8:43 pm   #9
SurreyNick
Heptode

Think I'm going to have to go away and do some additional reading on speaker matching!
N.
Old 16th Sep 2014, 9:38 pm   #10
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Nick, the speaker matching transformer ratio is defined as the square root of the impedance ratio valve required load/ speaker impedance.
Confusion will arise over the various symbols used (ra, Ra, RL).
ra is usually the valve anode impedance. The desired load is often taken as 50% of this value for minimum distortion, often written as Ra or RL.
Confused yet?

In practice, for most low power stages using a 3R speaker any ratio between about 20:1 and 50:1 will produce sound and not damage anything.
Your reading will give you all the theory about maximum power transfer and minimising distortion.
In general pentode will need a higher ratio transformer than triodes.

Cheers, Ed
Old 16th Sep 2014, 10:33 pm   #11
SurreyNick
Heptode

Thanks to each of you for the information and advice. I now understand what a power pentode output choke is, and when and how it is incorporated into a circuit

Typically, this new-found knowledge has now raised additional questions on speaker matching! As it naturally flows from this thread, but is on a different topic, I have started a new thread here (https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=109468)

Nick
Closed Thread