UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2018, 9:31 am   #1
jason18
Diode

Post LG LV880 6 Head NiCam VHS video player removing scratches from top.

Hi to everyone I have got a little problem if anyone can help.

I have got a LG LV880 6 Head NiCam VHS video player and on the top of the player there are a few light scratches and what I want to know if it is possible is can I remove the scratches of the top of my VHS player because it was bought off a site and I knew it had a couple of scratches but I got the item very cheap and it is fully working but I just thought if there was any thing I can do to remove the light scratches off the top of it. I know that there is special polish and stuff that can be used to restore it, but I don't know if any of that will work so is there a way to restore it? Like is there a way to make it like brand new? I was thinking about spray painting the top of the item the same colour, it is a silver colour so would that work like if it was spray painted the same colour? That would not get rid of the scratches but it would hide them I think. I have not tried that but anyway is there anything I can do to remove the light scratches off the top of my VHS player?

So can anyone please help me with this problem?

Last edited by Station X; 19th Nov 2018 at 10:09 am. Reason: Readability
Old 19th Nov 2018, 1:16 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: LG LV880 6 Head NiCam VHS video player removing scratches from top.

Hello and welcome Jason,

Please could you post a photo of what it looks like currently.

Nick.
Old 19th Nov 2018, 2:02 pm   #3
Studio263
Octode

Paint it, then fix that full stop key!

The cheapo finishes on video and hi-fi units are so thin that you can't cut them back, you just end up going straight through. They are also always a little rough so any attempt at polishing just makes an ugly shiny patch. Painting it is the only way, but unless you are good at it you will only end up making it look worse, then you'll wish you left it alone. These are strictly 'indoor use only' finishes, leave it outside for a few days and a rash of rusty spots will soon show you how thin the paint is!

If the machine is special to you then it may be worth asking a car body shop to blow it over in 'shelf black' or a silver shade of your choice. This all costs money of course...
Old 19th Nov 2018, 3:33 pm   #4
jason18
Diode

Post Re: LG LV880 6 Head NiCam VHS video player removing scratches from top.

Nickthedentist ok i have uploaded 3 pictures of my vhs player the scratches are light ones and you can see a deeper scratch on the front of this so is there anyway to remove them or would it be best to paint it would that hind the scratches
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	173075   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	173076   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	173077  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 4:28 pm   #5
davyrocket2
Pentode

I have done this before and I use brasso .for the scratch something like ford silver fox or similar.car repair shops have small touch up paint pens
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 2:01 pm   #6
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Yes silver touch up pens are the best thing. Don't use the ones with a brush - you will end up making a mess as the paint will spread about and look worse. Fine silver pen, take your time and do it in good light.
Closed Thread