UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2021, 3:12 pm   #1
TerryCole01
Diode

Default Fidelity Radiogram RG16

I have a 1950s mono radiogram bought in 1990 from a charity shop in Clacton on Sea. This has been stored in a garden shed for the past 13 years and is in poor condition although still working and I am having the cabinet restored and am attempting to improve the quality of reproduction by replacing valves and electrolytic capacitors etc.
I've not been able to source a circuit diagram or service sheet for this device and would appreciate any help in this respect. The valve line-up is as follows:
X79 - 6.3v triode hexode frequency changer or mixer
W727 - 6.3v variable µ pentode for use at HF (IF amp)
DH77 - 6.3v triode with twin signal diodes
N709 - 6.3v output pentode
U709 - 6.3v full wave rectifier
However, a very helpful chap called Mike said that this line-up is very unusual and that somebody may have substituted one or more valves. I have attached some photos in the hope that these may trigger someone’s memory.
Kind regards,
Terry Cole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fidelity RG16 - 01.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	233711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fidelity RG16 - 02.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	233712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fidelity RG16 - 03.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	233713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fidelity RG16 - 04.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	233714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fidelity RG16 - 05.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	233715  

Old 10th May 2021, 5:00 pm   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Fidelity Radiogram RG16

Hi Terry
The style of the cabinet suggests early 50's to me. A photo of the underside of the chassis will help us to asses if there are any wax paper capacitors that need replacing, and may also help date it.
Mike
Old 11th May 2021, 12:53 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This comes from early/mid 1955. There's nothing unusual about the valves per se, but unusual to find GEC/Marconi valves in a Fidelity model. The BSR UA6 autochanger looks to have had a much later stereo-compatible cartridge fitted, but I just can't quite see well enough to confirm this. If so, that is a bonus for you.
Old 15th May 2021, 7:17 am   #4
crackle
Rest in Peace

I whould like to add this radiogram to the Radio Museum but following communication with Terry it appears there is no definite evidence of the model number of this unit.
Please can any one show any evidence to confirm that this is a Fidelity RG16, e.g. catalogue, advert or even service information.
Thanks
Mike
Closed Thread