UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2009, 2:52 pm   #1
David Risley
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sharp VZ3000E - Turntable drive belt

I just finished replacing the belt on this machine, which i must say looked a pretty daunting job to start with but after much head scratching and prodding around it actually came apart quite easily in the end.
I was amazed too find that the old belt had changed states completly and although still looking like a belt had the consistency of bitumen or pitch, it was disgusting to handle but cleaned up eventually with some white spirit and finish with an alchohol free wipe. The Nylon chassis was removed after taking out about twenty fixing screws and removing knobs. Then 6 screws secured the deck to the chassis once on the bench it all became fairly straight forward and i am now able to enjoy many of my old LPs from the 70's and 80's.
The volume control is a bit noisy when adjusting and probably needs some sort of clean - i would be grateful for any suggested products/sprays that would be suiable for this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharp VZ3000E 001.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	23625

Name:	Sharp VZ3000E 002.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	23626

Name:	Sharp VZ3000E 003.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	23627

Name:	Sharp VZ3000E 004.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	23628

Name:	Sharp VZ3000E 005.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	23629
Old 5th Mar 2009, 6:15 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Sharp VZ3000E - Turntable drive belt

Nice job David!

These seem to be disliked by many people but I have always had rather a soft spot for them. I've repaired several when I was in the trade and I think that they perform rather well and are ideal if you have a space problem!

As for cleaning the controls I use Servisol or Electrolube. Both of these should be available from Maplin.

I would avoid WD40. It is not suitable for cleaning controls.

Regards,
Old 5th Mar 2009, 6:29 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Sharp VZ3000E - Turntable drive belt

Yes, nice work!

Is the volume control a slider or a rotary one? Sliding ones often don't respond well to cleaning spray, becoming very stiff. It's better to open these up, clean manually then regrease.

Nick.
Closed Thread