UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2019, 11:28 pm   #1
Bersham
Triode

Default Marconi radiogram. Conversion to a record player.

Hello all, I am a newbie on here with limited knowledge of the amplification of a record player. May I ask for help please, I have a Marconi radiogram and I would like to remove the deck and refit into a case. How do I go about a amplifying the signal from the stylus/deck.
Pete
Old 14th Nov 2019, 1:23 am   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Marconi radiogram. Conversion to a record player.

This is some project and not for the faint-hearted.

First of all, should you be a novice then you should only undertake work on mains operated equipment with help from someone experienced in electronics.

Secondly, just which Marconi Radiogram are you thinking of taking the parts from and what case do you envisage putting the deck into?

I ask this because you may not realise how much space above and below the turntable you need for an amplifier and 2 loudspeakers. You will also need to fabricate or use the turntable plinth which has been cut out to support the turntable.

Last but not least, the amplifier from the Marconiphone may not be suitable with the existing radio parts and power supply still connected. This means that you will need to source and install in the box a new amplifier which will need to match the turntable cartridge, fabricate a space to hold the volume control etc and somehow stop all of this moving around inside the box.

Chris
Old 14th Nov 2019, 3:11 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Agree wholeheartedly with Chris. If you're interested in building your own unit I would look for a 70s BSR or Garrard deck on ebay (with /without a plinth) and use a hi fi amp. You could sell the radiogram to help raise funds.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 10:22 pm   #4
Bersham
Triode

Hello Chris, Ben,
Thank you both for your advice. I am quite proficient with mains/240v electrical circuits and fully understand the dangers. What I was puzzling over was, can a record deck be connected direct to a stand alone amp, as Ben suggested.
We have a Teleton amp which looks after a cd and tape player and would like to fit the deck into a purpose made case with the output direct into the said amp system,
Old 16th Nov 2019, 11:26 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

My take on this is that it depends what cartrdge is fitted to the deck in the Marconi-most likely a crystal or ceramic type-if the former the cart. may be u/s anyway, and, related to that, what inputs are provided on the Teleton amp. If it has Pickup (phono) inputs, these may only be suitable for a magnetic cartridge. Auxilllary inputs should be a reasonable match to a crystal or ceramic cartridge. By this I mean any input suitable for a Tuner, Tape Deck, or similar.
Old 16th Nov 2019, 10:35 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

Post some photos of the gram and its deck plus the Teleton amp so we can see exactly what we're dealing with.
Old 17th Nov 2019, 6:43 pm   #7
Bersham
Triode

Thank you all, much appreciated. I’ll have a go at posting a pic soon
Old 18th Nov 2019, 10:54 am   #8
simpsons
Octode

Not wishing to doubt the challenge of using a radiogram turntable to play records through a "better" amplifier and possibly speakers, I do doubt the logic.

Generally, the BSR, Garrard, Collaro record players were automatic and unkind to the records they played. With a lightweight platter suitable for rim drive and relatively heavy tone arms with simple bearings, by the time the styli got to play the record, 5 grams or more were needed to track the grouves. With few exceptions, the cartridge used had a limited frequency response and should you wish to upgrade to a magnetic one, the steel platter causes issues and the 2 pole motor induces hum. All of this built down to a minimum cost.

There are vinyl buffs who will point to Garrard 301 etc; but for little money, say £20 or less, you can buy a simple belt drive turntable complete with a magnetic cartridge where the turntable mat is the same size as the LP and a tone arm long enough to minimise tracking distortion. The dust cover and base is also home freindly.

Alternatively, a Dynatron with a Lenco turntable are good value for money whilst the B&O equivalent needs deep pockets.

Should however the radiogram have a nostalgic link then of course that is a different matter. Maybe you could share the model number just in case we're missing something.

Chris
Old 18th Nov 2019, 12:06 pm   #9
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Whilst not disputing a lot of what you say, Chris, I still have quite a few LPs, mono and stereo, and over 100 45s which were played on an EAR record Player equipped with a BSR Autochanger having a TC8S cartridge, before I obtained better equipment, and, at least to my 76 year old ears, they still sound just as good as they did all those years ago. Mind you I don't have mint copies of any of the records concerned with which to compare them
Old 18th Nov 2019, 1:05 pm   #10
simpsons
Octode

Livewire, you are quite right about how robust vinyl pressings are.

I have done A/B comparisons between 45 and 33 album pressings and whilst 45 come out on top for extended frequency response even on well played records, if I'm honest,it's the engineering in me tells me that high compliance light weight cartridges and associated tone arm are a better bet for the record.

You can hear the tracking distortion often overcome, not by me, by placing a coin on the tone arm.

For most record players and radiograms, tone control meant "top cut" That's what you got and it worked.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 2:00 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Top cut is a naturally occurring phenomenon as you get older so treble boost may be required to hear any damage
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Nov 2019, 12:48 pm   #12
4wheeldave
Triode

I have every record I ever bought. My first 45 was Circles by the new seakers and my first LP was Geoff Love and his orchestra playing TV themes including the persuaders theme which is the one I wanted the most. I have every James Bond soundtrack from Dr No to Rogers last Bond film A view to a kill. Also loads of other records from back in the day. They have been played on a variety of record players from a fidelity HF 35 to and ultra sterio and a van de molen to an Hitachi MD 02. Currently playing them on my wife's gorgeous Fidelity HF 43 and my Marantz deck. Almost fifty years of play back for my earlier bought record's. They all play perfectly the same as they did and sound the same. I do think records if looked after are much more robust than some would have us believe. I hope you get the radiogram sorted as you want it and have hours of pleasure listening to your records.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 10:38 am   #13
simpsons
Octode

Well, 4wheeldave, not only you and your wife but a few other owners of the Fidelity HF43 like what they hear and have posted videos on YouTube to boot. Enjoy.

Chris
Old 20th Nov 2019, 11:37 am   #14
4wheeldave
Triode

Thanks for that. I have just got the Christmas records out it's never too early.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 11:45 am   #15
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Two of the first 45s I bought were 'Endless Sleep', by Marty Wilde and 'Return to Me' by Dean Martin. I still have both after 61 years!
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 10:07 pm   #16
Bersham
Triode

Thank you all once again for taking time to offer your advice and comments. My reason for wanting to use the auto changer deck is I have a large collection of 45’s and would love to be able to “go back in time and stack ‘em up” and just let them play. Perhaps this is not the professional way but humour me.
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 2:16 pm   #17
Station X

As I understand it you're intending to feed the output from an unidentified autochanger, with an unidentified cartridge, to an unidentified Teleton amplifier?

If so, how about posting a picture showing what input sockets the amp has?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Nov 2019, 6:06 pm   #18
Bersham
Triode

I will take some pics and post for you. I hope my idea is not frustrating all you professionals.
Closed Thread