UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2019, 6:21 pm   #21
JUSTDAMO
Triode

Default Re: VE301W Radio help

Sound advice that,

There is a box under the radio with all the capacitors in it, but I cannot access it, there are no screws only a gap. Anyway in that there appears to be a lot of old broken amber bits. Almost as if there has been water damage maybe, I don't know, but can it be cleaned off and how do you get access inside this box.

Thanks
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 9:29 pm   #22
Station X

In an earlier post I linked to this thread:-

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149451

In it I describe how to remove the capacitor box and "restuff" it without the need to disconnect any connections to the radio's coils or mains transformer. I did it that way because I viewed the task of unsoldering and resoldering dozens of wires as too daunting.

You seem determined to "fix up" this radio, but based on what I've read so far I'd say you're out of your depth.

I'm too far away to help you, but if you post in the Repair and Restoration Services Wanted section of the forums you may well find someone in the Manchester area willing to assist you.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 9:48 am   #23
JUSTDAMO
Triode

Well I fix vintage clocks so I am used to putting in some handy work, but yes at the moment I certainly am out of my depth.

That said however, i could see this as a few years project, it's just the various equipment cost you need to test and repair. A local repairman near where I live, (I once bought a clock from him) he is very good but has quoted me in the region of £250 for repair not sure which would be the cheaper haha and he is busy for the next 12 months at any rate.

I certainly don't mind learning but it will be a slow process.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 10:07 am   #24
Station X

If you'd care to send it to me I'll repair it for £100 plus return carriage costs. That's on the assumption that no wound components such as transformers, the tuning coils or the loudspeaker coil require rewinding and that no new valves are required.

It would need to be carefully packed, preferably double boxed, with the valves removed and wrapped in bubble wrap. Bakelite sets do not travel well.

PM me if interested.

Old 3rd Jul 2019, 10:11 am   #25
Herald1360
Dekatron

Like most vintage equipment, unless it's seriously valuable, the economics of a repair that makes commercial sense to the repairer don't make sense in terms of the final value of the piece. Think of a plumber's or electrician's hourly rates for similar level if different nature skills and multiply by a few hours plus parts and £250 is easily where you end up.

If the set's loudspeaker is OK, a little external cosmetic attention and a simple easily reversible mod to enable the speaker to be driven from an external source will provide 99% of the "sound", won't cost the earth and won't devalue the set.

Edit- Graham's offer sounds like a good deal!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 11:07 am   #26
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

About 3" to 4" of soft packing BETWEEN the inner and outer box.

The £100 is cheap.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 11:42 pm   #27
JUSTDAMO
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Like most vintage equipment, unless it's seriously valuable, the economics of a repair that makes commercial sense to the repairer don't make sense in terms of the final value of the piece. Think of a plumber's or electrician's hourly rates for similar level if different nature skills and multiply by a few hours plus parts and £250 is easily where you end up.

If the set's loudspeaker is OK, a little external cosmetic attention and a simple easily reversible mod to enable the speaker to be driven from an external source will provide 99% of the "sound", won't cost the earth and won't devalue the set.

Edit- Graham's offer sounds like a good deal!
I assume your talking about bluetooth..... how would you fit the mod etc...?

thanks
Old 4th Jul 2019, 12:14 am   #28
Station X

I'll just point out that the speaker in this set is a high impedance type (2000 ohms) and can't be driven directly by a normal amplifier.

Old 11th Jul 2019, 12:35 pm   #29
JUSTDAMO
Triode

hello again,

just following on from a previous post, these are some pictures of the circuit area if you could care to give some opinions on the condition..... I understand theres only so much you can do off a picture.

I think valve number 2 has a loose wire there. I do have a mu,ti meter but might need a little advice on where to start testing.

Incidentally, I did check the wires going from the snapped end to the base and they had no open circuits there, but the ends to the speaker simply gave a reading on the lines off 1865....

Anyway would like to thank Graham whose post I have read well and given some great pointers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_125444.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	186480   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_125354.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	186481   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_125417.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	186482   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_125339.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	186483  
Old 11th Jul 2019, 1:06 pm   #30
Station X

A reading of 1865 which I assume is in ohms? indicates that the speaker coil is good. Don't you have wires to reconnect to the speaker?

Your second picture shows the mains transformer. Check that the spade ended wire is connected to the 220V tag.

The bulging of the capacitor block suggests it will certainly need restuffing.

As you appear to be able to measure resistance I suggest you check all fuses (out of circuit) and confirm they have near zero ohms resistance. That's the fuse in mains adaptor, fuse in mains plug (if there is one) and the set's internal fuse.

Only close visual and tactile tests will show whether a wire is loose or not.

Old 11th Jul 2019, 4:02 pm   #31
JUSTDAMO
Triode

The mains fuse inside the radio appears to be fine, the wires do appear to be connected well, i shall double check this. However the fuse on the adapter was not ok though, that was the 1 amp fuse, so theres one problem.

A wire coming from vlave 2 definitely is loose, its the left wire on the RES 64 valve its not connected to anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ve301w-alt.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	186491  
Old 11th Jul 2019, 4:32 pm   #32
Station X

I see the wire you mean, but it looks like a component is missing, namely the 5000pF tone correction capacitor. The set will work without it, but may not sound too good.

If you look at my own thread you'll see that I disconnected that component, as it was faulty, and replaced it with a new cap connected across the speaker.

You haven't confirmed that you've resoldered the wires to the speaker.

You haven't confirmed that the voltage selector is set correctly.

Replacing the fuse in the adaptor or fitting a new mains plug with a three amp fuse may get the valves to light up.

I'll warn you again though. If you apply mains to this set in its present state you may destroy it

This isn't an attempt to get business from you. Other forum members will confirm what I say.

Old 11th Jul 2019, 4:57 pm   #33
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Yes. DO NOT APPLY MAINS without FIRST replacing the faulty capacitors. The high impedance speaker would be destroyed and it's practically irreplaceable.

A regular modern test meter or capacitor meter (even the fancy ones with LCD panels) can't test capacitors for leakage. You need a special 300V current limited tester sensitive to under 1uA current. I made one out of the flash electronics of a single use film camera as such devices aren't available except as expensive lab gear.

It's likely all five capacitors are totally useless. The 2uF, 4uF and three 100nF.

I worked in a capacitor factory in mid 1970s and have been repairing old stuff since the late 1960s. I've also worked in Electronic Design over 20 years.

This is a wonderful piece of history. Research and don't be hasty.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 9:24 am   #34
JUSTDAMO
Triode

Hi,

Yes I wont be plugging this in any time soon definitely not.

I haven't yet soldered the speaker wires just for convenient reasons as I can move the base in and out easily at the minute and as the capacitor box will need re-stuffing it should make it easier that way.

not sure how to check the voltage selector, it is connected to the 220v if thats what you mean.....
Old 12th Jul 2019, 10:22 am   #35
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTDAMO View Post
Not sure how to check the voltage selector, it is connected to the 220V if that's what you mean.
Yes. That is what I mean. These sets are actually over run on UK mains supplies, but it'll be fine for short term operation once the caps in the capacitor block have been replaced.

Before going to the trouble of restuffing the capacitor block, I'd check all wound components for continuity, as rewinds can be expensive.

You can check the continuity of the mains transformer primary by measuring the resistance between the pins of the mains plug, not the adaptor. With the set switched on expect to see around 100 ohms and infinite resistance with the set switched off. The actual reading will depend on how good the mains switch and fuse holder are.

Old 12th Jul 2019, 10:27 am   #36
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Needs total, careful going over plus most caps before any mains.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 12:54 pm   #37
JUSTDAMO
Triode

ok, With the unit switched off, it read 1, no change.

With the set switched on, it read around 124

not sure how to check the coil, but the unit in-between valve 2 and 3 I did connect on both sides and that had continuity.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 1:45 pm   #38
Station X

'1' is obviously the way your meter displays infinite resistance or open circuit.

Looking good. Time to restuff the capacitor box.

Old 12th Jul 2019, 3:48 pm   #39
rontech
Heptode

I suspect there was no"tuning capacitor" on that type of radio and maybe limited sensitivity. The idea being listeners could only select a couple of goebells approved stations and low sensitivity reduced the abilty to hear foreign stations.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 4:00 pm   #40
Station X

You'd be wrong. This is a TRF set with one variable capacitor controlling the tuning and the other the reaction feedback. It can be tuned over the whole of the medium and long wave bands. Easily checked by looking at the circuit.

Some sets had stations marked on the dial. Whether any of these were outside Germany I don't know.

Mine receives dozens of stations on medium wave, mostly Smooth Radio, but distinct transmitters none the less. LW is a bit more difficult probably because I use a short aerial.

Closed Thread