UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2019, 8:19 am   #21
GOKenyon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hines Table Grand Gramophone

Barry,
Ignore last request about pic. I see it now. The spring clip that retains the spindle. My bad...
Cheers!
Old 7th Sep 2019, 12:05 pm   #22
Techman
Dekatron

I don't think that spring will last very long!

You often see pictures of gramophones with the soundbox placed on the wrong side of the platter when playing a record, which makes me wonder whether some idiot has been doing this and perhaps tried rotating the platter backwards that has caused the spring to be like that.

You've now asked twice about recommended spring suppliers. I don't know about Barry, but I personally couldn't recommend any suppliers, as I think that due to such a low demand for such things that I would say the springs all come from the same place, so it probably doesn't matter where in the world you get the spring, they'll always be exactly the same spring from the same place anyway, but ready to be told otherwise if anybody else knows any different.

As for replacing just one spring, as you probably know, if you have a broken spring on your car, you should never replace just the one side, but always replace in pairs, and it's the same with gramophones. We all know that you can often get away with just replacing one spring on your car, and this goes for gramophones, too, but you'll have to do a bit of careful 'running in' over a period of time. I've actually got a true story about mixing old and new gramophone springs, but it's a bit of a long story, so I'll save it for another time. Personally, if it were mine I'd mend the old spring by making a new end, but this would involve understanding heat treatment and tempering of metals, so perhaps a step too far for you at this time.

A quick ebay search for the 11a shows that a complete and working motor with all the associated bits is up for auction at this very moment with the sale ending at tea time today. It'll have everything you may need for your motor, as not only do you need springs, but you don't know the state of the gears or governor on your motor, so I'd advise you to decide what it's worth to you and slap a last minute maximum bid in and see if you get lucky. The seller will post it for a tenner, so as long as there's someone at home to receive the parcel while you're away, this would seem the answer to all your problems.

Below I've posted the links to two very recent threads regarding gramophone springs, where I comment regarding the possible 'quality' of replacement springs and also mention a possible UK supplier of springs. On one of the threads, other members mention various other suppliers, so click on the links and have a good read - the first thread has two pages and I think I commented on the second page, but read the whole lot anyway, links below:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=159189

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=159066
Old 7th Sep 2019, 12:42 pm   #23
Techman
Dekatron

Actually, a small revision to what I said above regarding the platter being turned backwards. What I should have said is basically what I said earlier in the thread regarding the governor being released with tension still on the springs, that the platter would have to carry on turning in the same 'normal' direction for it to 'back-wind' the springs. I'd better stop now before I confuse myself as well as everyone else!
Old 9th Sep 2019, 1:56 am   #24
GOKenyon
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks very much
The links help a lot...
GOK
Old 19th Nov 2019, 10:38 pm   #25
GOKenyon
Retired Dormant Member

Hi there,
So I have returned from my US working stretch and I cleaned up the springs etc. I removed them from the housing and degreased etc, after watching the videos suggested. Was tricky but ok.
One spring is fine. The other as explained has a 'tear' at the tail clip and is not useable. I went to a buddy of mine that has a heavy machine shop and he explained it would not be possible to put another tail in it easily. It was an original spring with the Gerard stamp etc. Shame...
So now I want to put the whole thing back together and need a spring. Can you please let me know where I can purchase one or have one fabricated?

Best regards
Gareth
Closed Thread