UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2005, 4:06 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Roberts RIC1 .... unused but still not 'mint' ?

Hello,

The Roberts RIC1 radio is another radio that Ive been searching for for a long long time. All the ones Ive seen (and the similar R303) have always looked shabby, with yellowing Roberts badges and rexine covers where the canvas backing has started to appear due to wear and tear, and another radio that seems to get 'restored' using boot polish and dyes.....

Ive acquired an unused one, not a hint of wear around the knobs on the surface of the tuning scale, absolutely straight clean grilles and no damage whatsoever to the case YET the rexine has still deteriorated, not seriously but even without use it has still gone shiny and thin ! And the variable capacitor rubber mountings are sloppy too. The interior is immaculate so it has never been stored in a damp place and it works perfectly .....

Does a 'mint' RIC1 really exist ? I really don't think so, the rexine on these seems to simply disintegrate with age But it's still the best RIC1 I've ever seen

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIC1front.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1564   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIC1back.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1566  

Last edited by howard; 28th Sep 2005 at 4:16 pm.
Old 28th Sep 2005, 7:17 pm   #2
Andrew c
Tetrode

Default Re: Roberts RIC1 .... unused but still not 'mint' ?

Hello Howard the solution to this problem may be to re-cover the radio cos if they all go the same then re-covering looks like a good idea

Andy
Old 28th Sep 2005, 7:41 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Andy,

If one could find an exact match for the material, it wouldnt be difficult to recover a RIC1 cos the 3 pieces of rexine covering the case are all flat, but of course doing so would spoil the originality of the radio. This one Im glad to say doesnt need that doing to it just yet but I daresay many others have replaced the rexine on their radio cases when the old rexine gets scruffy. I wouldnt wish to attempt to recover a Roberts R200 though or any radio with rounded edges !

Regards.....Howard
Old 28th Sep 2005, 9:22 pm   #4
avro
Heptode

Thumbs up Re: Roberts RIC1 .... unused but still not 'mint' ?

Hi Howard,

I came across a Roberts RT1 at Wootton Bassett last year. It was in truly sad shape all round and I had it restored by Graham Gosling at East Coast Wireless. I could not believe the transformation. As you can see from the attached file it looks like it has just left the shop in 1957.

I could highly recommend him to do a repair on your Roberts. I was very happy with the quality of the work on mine.

Avro
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rt1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1570  
Old 28th Sep 2005, 10:23 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Hello Avro,

That is a really nice looking RT1 ... I too have an RT1 in the 'starry night' finish that is also exactly as it came out of the shop, but mine hasn't been restored .... I dont know why, but I wouldnt feel totally happy with a restored radio like yours even though it does look perfect. Like the RIC1 this too is unused but is mint. I guess Im just fussy

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rt1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1572  

Last edited by howard; 28th Sep 2005 at 10:43 pm.
Old 28th Sep 2005, 10:34 pm   #6
avro
Heptode

Howard,

The reason I had it restored is that I am fussy!!!

Your RT1 is gorgeous

Avro

Last edited by avro; 28th Sep 2005 at 10:47 pm.
Closed Thread