UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2009, 2:49 pm   #21
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: A Sharp challenge!

Hi
I actually had one of these for repair last year! And no, it wasn't thought of as vintage... I found a linear belt to fit, only to find it wouldn't always return - a slightly larger belt did the trick several strip-downs later!
They aren't all that bad to dismantle - remember to take the small knobs off from under the flap first.
The Mitsubishi X-series - oh dear - I could never get on with those!
Glyn
Old 7th Jan 2009, 8:29 pm   #22
Dr-Watts
Heptode

I did one of those up a couple of years ago, I managed to get a complete belt kit from the states. Mine was the one like an enormous ghetto blaster with a fixed speaker on each side.
It was a horrible thing to work on, getting it apart took ages to figure out and after all my hard work my manager caught me struggling through the work's car park and said "No!" I tried to argue that I'd spent hours on it but the reply was just a sterner 'NO'.
It went back in the car and a friend had it

A very nice unit when finished though

Dr. Dave
Old 9th Jan 2009, 5:34 pm   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi again
Just popped over to the shop run by my colleague, and there's one of the 'ghetto-blaster' style ones in for repair! Nice to see some things refuse to die....even if they are a pig to get apart!
Glyn
Old 9th Jan 2009, 7:56 pm   #24
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi all,
Just my two penn'orth, but I don't suppose these vertical both-side-play and horizontal linear tracking players were particularly kind to the records, were they? I seem to remember they went out of fashion quite quickly. Mind you, if I see one for sale at a vide grenier I'd be sorely tempted to grab it (while the missus isn't looking). It'd be interesting to see how much vynil (vinyl?) swarf there was in the bottom of the cases
How was the tracking & stylus pressure sorted on these things anyway?
Cheers de Pete
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 12:12 pm   #25
David Risley
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: A Sharp challenge!

I have a Sharp VZ3000E which i bought from new in the early 80's, it served me well till it was usurped by the CD. I remember that there was a product recall on these after about 6 months (i think the manufacturers had a recurring fault with them). Customers were offered the model you have restored as a replacement but since mine was working OK i decided not to exchange it.

It has been in store since and i am attempting to restore it but have found like you that the turntable drive belt has rotted and left a sticky mess. The radio and tape function OK and the automatic opening door works but needs a little help know and then, would benefit from some TLC.

I am faced with the challenge of getting into it and also trying to aquire a new belt.

Or

If anyone is interested in taking it on as a project let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	23345  
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 1:14 pm   #26
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

It's really up to you as to whether you want to sort it (belts are generally easy to get) - if not, you need to post in the Sets & Parts Offered section with an exact price, which can be zero if you're happy to donate it.

If you do wish to revive it, then you can begin a new thread in the Vintage Audio section.

Meantime, as this thread is a Success Story but seems to be wandering into a general discussion which otherwise died six weeks ago, the Moderators have decided to close it.
Closed Thread