UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2019, 9:22 pm   #1
andrewn
Pentode

Default Grundig 3365 mains transformer

A few weeks ago I posted about a Grundig 3365 I saw in a local shop. A week or so later it was still there so I bought it.
I've put it on the workbench and initial testing with a multimeter finds that the 220v primary (w/82R resistor in series) is o/c. The 110V tapping still has continuity. The obvious solution is to operate the radio on 110V via a step-down transformer. I will disconnect the loads and see if it outputs the correct voltages with a 110V supply.

On the circuit diagram it shows the ECC83 heater being supplied from a separate winding than the other valves. Can anyone advise why this is done? The circuit diagram for the similar 3395 model has all valves on the same winding. If I need to fit a modern transformer it's easier to buy one with a single 6.3 winding.
Thanks, Andrew.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 9:51 pm   #2
G0HFCFrank
Pentode

Default Re: Grundig 3365 mains transformer

Hi Andrew,
The ECC83 is the audio amplifier/phase splitter driving the push-pull output stage. You will notice the separate heater supply to this valve has a centre tap to ground and I would guess this is to reduce mains hum.
Frank C.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 11:55 am   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Ed Dinning would be able to rewind this with 115, 225 & 245V primary taps for you if needed, or, if you're not too bothered about an "original":look, you can get valve type "R Core Transformers" with more than one 6.3V winding to suit your Grundig circuit!

Chris Williams
Old 21st Nov 2019, 12:03 pm   #4
turretslug
Dekatron

I expect that you've been down this route already, but it might be worth closely checking the end of the 220V winding where it emerges from the bobbin and connects to the terminal- if you're really lucky, it might just have parted here and be recoverable with a bit of careful surgery. Just a thought!
Old 21st Nov 2019, 10:19 pm   #5
andrewn
Pentode

Thanks for your help. I peeled back some of the insulation but there doesn't seem to be a break in the wire. I'm not sure if the transformer has been burnt out. The 82R resistor had burnt the mains lead and an incorrect fuse was fitted. A 25uF capacitor had burst open as well. Other than that the radio is in good condition.
I disconnected the secondaries and powered up the transformer on 115V from my shaver socket. I measured HT winding 271V, yellow winding 7.4V and blue winding 7.6V. I'm not clear with the circuit diagram as it says "278V 69ma/270V 73ma. I assume this is the rectified DC voltage and therefore the AC voltage should be somewhat less?

If I buy a new transformer would this be suitable? https://primarywindings.com/product/pwht02/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-11-21 210642.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	194109  
Old 21st Nov 2019, 10:50 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Those readings sound OK to me, Andrew. 271v AC with no load should be about right, and the two LT windings' voltages should drop to approx 6.3v on load. From that and from the figures quoted for the transformer in your link, provided it will physically fit, unless I'm missing something, it should be OK as a replacement. Incidentally, the two different HT voltages are what would be expected from changes in the current drawn
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 7:59 pm   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

I think those two slightly different HT voltage/current ratings are likely to be the difference between AM and FM modes, i.e. switching the triode of the ECHxx off, and the double-triode of the ECC85 (or similar) on. Or something along those lines. That transformer linked to certainly sounds as though it has plenty of HT capability- it looks as though it can be used in either 2-diode full-wave bi-phase rectifier mode (centre-tapped with series secondaries), or 4-diode bridge rectifier mode with paralleled secondaries. 160mA of AC current capability approximates to about 100mA bridge-rectified DC output.

I'd not heard of Primary Windings before, but it looks as if they offer some useful transformer options there.
Old 22nd Nov 2019, 8:39 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Andrew those readings sound OK, you could test it by allowing it to run for say 1/2 hour under those conditions and with no valves fitted. The transformer should then only be slightly warm to the touch.

Ed
Old 9th May 2020, 2:39 pm   #9
andrewn
Pentode

I just thought I would update this thread. I bought the above mentioned transformer and is all working well. Before I bought the transformer I bought a very cheap 12v to 110v inverter. This enabled me to power up the radio with its original transformer to see what else was faulty. All that needed replacing was a small electrolytic cap and the 1K resistor on top the o/p transformer. After I had replaced those the radio worked. I then replaced the wax caps for reliability. I didn't need to replace the reservoir cap as it tests fine.
On fitting the new transformer I decided to replace the selenium rectifier at the same time. I also made use of the fuse board to add a fuse for the HT. I fitted a plastic sheet between the fuse board and transformer for extra safety. The radio is meant to be double-insulated and has the symbol on the back panel.
I also re-painted behind the tuning scale and fixed the slipping tuning clutch when on VHF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_140828.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	205341   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_140920.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	205342  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 11:45 pm   #10
vinrads