UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2019, 3:41 pm   #1
Jameson
Triode

Default New hobby

Hi, ive really caught the bug since looking into radio repair. Ive recently bought a Roberts rfm3 set for a present and will likely get a few old broken sets off ebay and have a go at fixing them. I work as an electrician so have some idea of how things work although never really delved into electronics other than fixing them to a wall. My old dad used to be into valve tv's, and had a small workshop with a scope, an old trusted AVO meter, and some other bits of kit (all of which I still have). Anyhow before I start prodding away at old sets, I think I learn better this way, I would like to ask if there is any good books that anyone can recommend for a novice. TBH if i had a set that was not operating I wouldn't really know where to start other than tracing the PCB and checking components against values, but wouldnt know what each component does other than distort a current/voltage. Im looking into repair and fault finding of the more simple/accessible sets to begin with, something like the Roberts Rambler perhaps and then who knows. Can anyone recommend any books to start out with ? Something that is not too much theory and aimed at novices ?? Is there any modern offerings on the dated sets. Thanks all
Old 20th Nov 2019, 4:54 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: New hobby

Look out for 'Practical Wireless' 'Radio Constructor' etc. These were the popular ones but there are dozens more. Look in second hand book shops, they are usually very cheap. J.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 5:28 pm   #3
Jameson
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Look out for 'Practical Wireless' 'Radio Constructor' etc. These were the popular ones but there are dozens more. Look in second hand book shops, they are usually very cheap. J.
Thanks for reply, I have a few copies of Practical Wireless. I was looking for trusted books specifically for a novice related to older radio repairs, if such a hing exists
Old 20th Nov 2019, 5:36 pm   #4
bikelectro
Pentode

Radio repair, by Les Lowry - John’s, I think is his name, it really helped me as a teenager, I think it can be found on the internet and printed off.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 5:52 pm   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

IPC Magazines 'Television'. Les had a regular column Les and his wife, Honey Bunch. In the 1970's.
I didn't know LLJ wrote on radio repair. How interesting.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 6:03 pm   #6
Your_Sinclair
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Hi, ive really caught the bug since looking into radio repair. Ive recently bought a Roberts rfm3 set for a present and will likely get a few old broken sets off ebay and have a go at fixing them. I work as an electrician so have some idea of how things work although never really delved into electronics other than fixing them to a wall. My old dad used to be into valve tv's, and had a small workshop with a scope, an old trusted AVO meter, and some other bits of kit (all of which I still have). Anyhow before I start prodding away at old sets, I think I learn better this way, I would like to ask if there is any good books that anyone can recommend for a novice. TBH if i had a set that was not operating I wouldn't really know where to start other than tracing the PCB and checking components against values, but wouldnt know what each component does other than distort a current/voltage. Im looking into repair and fault finding of the more simple/accessible sets to begin with, something like the Roberts Rambler perhaps and then who knows. Can anyone recommend any books to start out with ? Something that is not too much theory and aimed at novices ?? Is there any modern offerings on the dated sets. Thanks all
There is a chap called Ray who lives near Worthing.
He repairs old radios and also provides instruction via a Members only area of his website.

Here is the link:

https://www.***********************/membership-join/

There is a reasonable membership fee and he combines an excellent knowledge of the subject with an excellent instructional ability.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 6:28 pm   #7
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Can anyone recommend any books to start out with ? Something that is not too much theory and aimed at novices ??
There's Chas E. Miller's " Valve radio and audio repair handbook". He tries to keep it simple and explains things in an easy-to-understand way. Nothing about TVs in it though.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 20th Nov 2019, 6:45 pm   #8
Station X

This is a good starting point:-

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...ion/index.html

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 6:54 pm   #9
Jameson
Triode

Thanks for the response, there's definitely a few titles there I will look into, and will keep me busy I expect.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 7:03 pm   #10
Nuvistor
Dekatron

“Foundations of Wireless” by M G Scroggie, Abe books have copies for 80p plus about £3 p&p. There are a number of editions later ones are expensive but the 1968 version should do what you need.

Patchett did a series of 4 small books “Radio Servicing”
There are plenty others but those two are excellent and well respected.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 7:04 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

The information that Graham referred you to was written by the site owner. It's very clear and readable. Published Modern guides often go up in price, even second hand, as they may only be a short run. I found "Vintage Radio Collecting, Restoration and Repair" by Tony Thompson [Forum Member] a good read. Anything by Chas Miller [sadly, recently deceased] will be worth having!

Dave W
Old 20th Nov 2019, 7:55 pm   #12
MurphyNut
Heptode

It is indeed a fantastic hobby, I get endless pleasure from it and something that doesn't cost the earth.
I've never bothered with books as there is so much information on the internet. This forum has helped me learn so much, a lot of helpful and knowledgeable guys, many with back grounds in the electronic industry which I've never had.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 8:17 pm   #13
John10b
Nonode

Hi I hope you enjoy your new hobby and being part of this forum, which you will find full of information.
Cheers
John
Old 20th Nov 2019, 8:19 pm   #14
Jameson
Triode

Thanks all, I will likely have some more questions, im on the lookout for an old set thats broken now so i can fix it. Might get a hacker so i can do a bit of shortwave listening.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 10:12 pm   #15
bikelectro
Pentode

It was a pocket book “questions and answers radio repair”, a paperback in a whole series by Newnes.
It was in a q & a format covering mostly seventies transistor sets, but with a section on unit audio stereos and a section devoted to valve radios. Really helped me as I was entering the domestic trade in the early eighties.
Old 20th Nov 2019, 11:17 pm   #16
buggies
Heptode

Les Lawry-Johns Question and Answers:Radio Repair seems to be available as a pdf:-
https://www.vintage-radio.info/download.php?id=361
Old 21st Nov 2019, 12:22 am   #17
McMurdo
Dekatron

Here's the Les Lawry-Johns book front cover if you want to look out for a hard copy. Great little book. First published 1979 and then revised in 1984 with a larger valve section.

ISBN 0 408 01509 8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0752.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	194052