UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2019, 12:09 am   #1
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default (Small) vintage multimeter rectifiers- testing?

Having changed a Copper Oxide rectifier in a (1940's) Universal Avominor due to its somewhat low readings, it occurs to me to ask if there is a good test for such a component other than soldering it in, and testing the meter against a known reference!

Having seen some replacement rectifiers in these meters, which are GEC units about the size of a sultana with 2 green wires, 1 red, 1 black, i am curious as to whether they are silicon, germanium chemistry, or something else..I imagine they are 1960's vintage from the plastic used, and (predictably) they seem to offer better accuracy at low AC voltages.

One more thing- what is the purpose of the bobbin attached to the rear of the rectifier, which is wired across the DC output?

Thankyou.
Dave
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 10:34 am   #2
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: (Small) vintage multimeter rectifiers- testing?

Dave,

Do you have a copy of the Westinghouse publication "Westectors - Instructions for Use" which gives technical information on the original copper oxide rcetifiers used in Avometers?

Which rectifier are you referring to which has a bobbin attached to the rear?

PMM
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 12:29 pm   #3
micheal
Pentode

The bobbin attached to the back of the rectifier is a shunt resistor across the DC output
of the rectifier, the same as in AVO8 MK2 I do not know the value but if you change the
rectifier for germanium you can adjust the value of the resistor to give FSD on 100 AC
range when compared to a reference,

Mike
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 6:35 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

Thanks Mike, Peter,

Yes i do have the Westector document, i think you copied me in on it previously. (and i now note it has a test procedure)
The resistance bobbin behind the CuO Westector is wired to it but they are not 'en bloc'.
It is a loose rather shallow bobbin, separated from the rectifier by a paper washer.

Interesting to know that trimming is possible if a non-standard rectifier is substituted.

Have been reading up on the significance of Chilean copper and the commercial secrecy surrounding whether the superior qualities of rectifiers using it were down merely to purity or to a particular blend of trace impurities. There was also an interesting pause in the manufacture of selenium rectifiers in Germany mid-way through the war, when their characteristics suddenly changed without obvious reason. It was allegedly traced to a different brand of solder containing traces of Thallium. I would like to think that this was sabotage, but..probably just pure chance.

Dave

Last edited by The Philpott; 2nd Nov 2019 at 6:43 pm.
Closed Thread