UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2021, 4:39 am   #1
Bodie158717
Diode

Default Binatone answering machine ID

Hello,

I'd like to know what model of Binatone answering machine this is, please.

It featured in the TV sitcom Watching in 1990.

I only know it's Binatone from the wording on the box.

Looking around online it is similar to the Binatone Telecorder 2100.
Only the Watching machine looks more boxier, the handset isn't as rounded as the 2100 and the cassette door is in a different place.

I believe the 2100 had a remote accessing device. The Watching one also had a remote supposedly. It is seen in the programme but may have just been for plot line use, whether they actually got hold of an answering machine that had this feature for real, I don't know.

It does look like the remote is in the foreground of the picture of the unboxed device.

Thanks,

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210116_032411_130481013611339.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	224687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210116_032511_130481121890505.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	224688  
Old 16th Jan 2021, 7:23 pm   #2
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Re: Binatone answering machine ID

Can’t help with the model I’m afraid. I had an earlier Binatone than that (c. 1985). It looked very old-fashioned at the time and I was a bit dubious about buying it – rightly or wrongly I associated Binatone with a bit cheap and nasty – though it wasn’t that cheap to buy. It is without doubt the best answering machine I have ever had and could count up to 99 calls. Using two standard size tape cassettes, messages were loud and clear unlike my recent digital machines where, frequently, you can barely make out a word of the message. It is still in one of my junk boxes somewhere.

It had a remote access gizmo that you placed on the mouthpiece of a handset, pressing the beep button after dialling ‘home’.
Closed Thread