UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2019, 6:11 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Bush SAC 31 (1936) Almost lost forever.

This set was destine for the skip, on the off-chance the owner called around my place on the way to see if I wanted it for spares.
The set had been in his loft for countless decades and looked in appalling condition, I couldn't say no, I felt sorry for it......so it found a new home.
This was about 15 years ago, at that time I was quite content in doing up the cabinets and having old radios that didn't work but just nice to look at because I hadn't got a clue how to fix them.
The case was completely stripped and some of the missing veneer replaced it came up very nicely. It then sat in the corner silently until (fast forward) a few days ago when I thought I'd have ago at breathing life into it again.
I must admit when I had a look inside I'd forgotten how rough it looked, the chassis quite rusty and a lot of crumbling insulation on the wires.
I replaced the worst ones (going up to the speaker) and put on a new mains lead. What completely surprised me with this set is there are absolutely no wax capacitors, this is a new one on me! Just a wax box with 2 electrolytic caps inside (8+8) and a tubular paper 25uf. I decided to replace the box but left the paper one as it looked in good condition.
The variable capacitor was all lose, I manged to secure that and replace the broken tuning cord, luckily that was a simple affair. The speaker needed some attention but again all went well.
I powered it up and it actually worked, and not sounding too bad either, I think it must be a fairly cheap set for the day, the quality of construction and sound certainly don't match Murphy sets of the same period.
But I like the set, I've been gradually breaking it in, had it on for half an hour today with no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0031.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	186096   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0029.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	186097   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0028.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	186098  
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 7:16 pm   #2
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: Bush SAC 31 (1936) Almost lost forever.

That's a really nice looking set, I like the speaker aperture more than the one on my SAC35. The internals look similar, so I have to wonder isn't the block on the right of the last photo a bank of PIO caps? I had thought so with my set & they appeared to have spewed everywhere too.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 7:12 am   #3
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjdm14 View Post
The internals look similar, so I have to wonder isn't the block on the right of the last photo a bank of PIO caps? I had thought so with my set & they appeared to have spewed everywhere too.
So that's were they are! What are PIO caps and should I replace them?
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 10:33 am   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Just a guess, PIO = Paper In Oil?

Lovely looking set, the underside of the chassis reminds me of the Ekco RS3 I restored last year, that had 3 large cans underneath, containing various coils.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 11:33 am   #5
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Just a guess, PIO = Paper In Oil?
Thanks for that, I think you're right, I was wondering why that area was slightly oily. I guess they are still functioning ok as the set is still performing well.....at least at the moment!
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 12:18 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Great job and those caps certainly will not get any moisture in them.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 6:28 pm   #7
ekjdm14
Banned

Yes paper in oil, I haven't looked that closely at what their functions are but if they're working OK for you & don't have any coupling function I'll be tempted to keep mine in-situ as well. I was thinking of restuffing them but perhaps they've stood the test of time after all?
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 9:17 pm   #8

I do like the angled tuning scale, very Murphy.
Quote:
I think it must be a fairly cheap set for the day
My favourite radio is a Perdio, a "cheap" set from the 60's, brought portable radio to the teenagers.

Old 5th Jul 2019, 4:31 pm   #9
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Interesting. My Bush SAC21 seems to have the same chassis.

That 25MFD at 25VDC cathode capacitor for the audio output is surely leaky.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 5:32 pm   #10
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStephenMasek View Post

As it looked in such good condition I didn't bother measuring it, Now you've got me thinking.
BTW I've just looked up a SAC21, it looks like the same radio but in a diferent cabinet, I wonder why they did that!
Old 6th Jul 2019, 9:53 pm   #11
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Both cabinet designs are attractive / handsome / good-looking. Perhaps to appeal to different tastes, to hedge their bet on which would sell better, or to obtain cabients from two different suppliers?
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 12:48 pm   #12
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStephenMasek View Post

I checked the said capacitor and it had indeed failed, so it's been replaced, I cant say the radio performs any better but my mind is put to rest, thanks.