UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2017, 8:47 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Marconi T10A (1947)

Just finshed one of my “Harpenden” radios, and what a nice radios it is!
I’ve not done a Marconi before and I was pleased to see how well put-together it was.
After removing the chassis from the case everything looked as it should so I powered it up and it worked very well. I did decide to replace all the wax capacitors anyway as a precaution.
The drive cord had snapped so knowing the length I was able to work out how it was meant to go with a new cord. I lightly oiled all the wheels and got the movement working smoothly.
I must admit I was a little disappointed in the rather small speaker in the set. But despite this it sounds quite good, much better than I expected.
The paper diagram did however look a bit fragile so I did my little trick by mixing up a 50/50 solution of water and PVA glue and carefully painted it onto the diagram. This soaks into the paper and when dry really strengthens it.
I found a replacement for the missing pilot bulb, the tuning scale on this radio does look rather good when switched on. There’s a little bulb holder and reflector that hangs down inside and gives the scale a bright and very pleasing illumination.
The set runs quite warm and I suspect the reason why some of the wiring had to be replaced due to the insulation drying out and falling off the wire.
The speaker cloth was in a very sorry state and well past trying to save so I found a replacement. Though not similar to the original it does I think look “right.” I’ve kept a little bit of the original so in the future I could change it if something closer turns up, you never know!
The poor old cabinet was very dull and lack lustre, I spent a lot of time polishing it up and it’s responded very well.
My wife doesn’t think much of the styling, she said it’s a bit boring, I disagree I think it’s rather neat and pleasing to the eye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3490.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	150176   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3491.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	150177   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3492.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	150178  
Old 1st Oct 2017, 9:03 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Marconi T10A (1947)

Nice job Clive.
Old 1st Nov 2017, 12:01 am   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

The Bakelite cabinet has come up really well, lovely job.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 5th Nov 2017, 6:45 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

I can feel the effort that you put into that sheen!
Old 7th Nov 2017, 12:59 pm   #5
marconi_pete
Hexode

They are really nice sets once restored. You've done a great job on that set Clive. They were fitted with quite small speakers, but having said that the audio quality is pretty good from these sets.

Thanks,
Peter
Closed Thread