UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2017, 4:28 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Mains adapter for Tandberg TP-41 info

I'm looking for a mains adapter for a Tandberg TP-41. Is there a modern 'over the counter' adapter available?

Otherwise, what is the spec of the plug? I know the requirement is for 12V DC and that the inner connection is the negative one. Any info, photos, links etc welcome, thanks.
Old 24th Nov 2017, 5:05 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Mains adapter for Tandberg TP-41 info

All (most?) of the generic 12v 500 mA regulated adaptors seem to have POSITIVE on the centre pin, this universal may be suitable BUT it is a switch mode type.

Adaptor on ebay.
Old 24th Nov 2017, 5:54 pm   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks ukcol.

Since posting I've gone through my box of spare mains adaptors and found a 12v one that is (the incorrect) +ve on the centre 'hole'. So I'll get a solderable plug from Maplin and connect it for centre -ve. Can anyone confirm that the spec is 2.5mm x 5.5mm ? I'm pretty sure it is, here's the Maplin one: https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-25...wer-plug-hh62s

Does the Tandberg have any internal smoothing, regulation etc when used in 'adaptor mode' or does it rely on a perfectly good, smooth, 12DC supply? Because the batteries only supply 9V? What's the current requirement? Thanks.
Old 24th Nov 2017, 6:40 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

You do need to check that your 12V input plug is actually long enough to disconnect the internal 9V battery via the contact on the barrel.

The TP41 only has a bias regulator D501, which derives a stabilised supply of about 1.5V for the base bias of the tuner and IF transistors. This is used for both internal and external voltage supplies.

Ron
Closed Thread